Mining Law and Legal Agreements is an introduction, for non-lawyers, to the business of mining from a legal perspective. It will provide an overview of the primary sources of law affecting participants in the mining industry including business organizations and corporate law principles. It will also examine the legal considerations for raising alternative sources of money to finance exploration and development activities and provide an overview of the key business agreements such as option agreements, joint ventures and royalty agreements. This course is geared towards both individuals that are new to the mining industry as well as experienced mining professionals that wish to obtain a better understanding of the key legal concepts and issues that impact upon their industry.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- This course isn't currently offered through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the main sources of law affecting mining at the provincial and national level.
- Explain the tenuring and permitting processes for exploration, development and mining and the role of environment assessment in permitting.
- Discuss the different legal forms of business structures, including corporations, partnerships and unincorporated joint ventures.
- Recall the fundamentals of corporate law and the role of shareholders, officers and directors in the corporation.
- Discuss the basic forms of financing and the general rules applicable to raising money in the public markets, including securities laws, prospectuses, 43-101 and the role of stock exchanges.
- Describe the components of various legal agreements including confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements, letters of intent/term sheets, option agreements, joint venture agreements and royalty agreements.
- Explain the contents of common agreements with Aboriginal groups such as capacity funding and consultation agreements, exploration agreements and benefits agreements.
- Prepare a simple option agreement or other legal agreement based on case studies described in class.
Effective as of Winter 2013
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Mining Law and Legal Agreements (MINE 1012)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.