The purpose of measurement and verification (M&V) of buildings is to provide feedback to building owners, managers and design teams on the effectiveness of measures incorporated into the design and retrofit on the building annual energy use and cost. This course introduces the principles, procedures and benefits of measurement and verification to building professionals in order to enable them to usefully and efficiently incorporate measurement and verification into the building design and operation process. Students will gain a solid literacy in the science of measuring energy use of buildings and verifying the results of energy efficiency measure. Verifying energy savings is an important part of energy saving initiatives and provides developers, owners and financiers of projects assistance in quantifying the expected or measured return on investment. The course covers the International Performance Measurement & Verification Protocol (IPMVP), which is the most widely accepted protocol worldwide for savings verification. Students will learn how to design an M&V Strategy for their projects and to manage the savings and verification process for both internal and external reporting.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply professional standards when engaged in measurement and verification.
- Develop appropriate measurement and verification plans following the IPMVP.
- Coordinate and optimize the measurement and verification of buildings to effectively obtain key performance indicators.
- Identify the limits of accuracy when measuring and verifying building energy use and energy cost
- Interpret and analyze M&V results to help building owners prioritize energy conservation measures at the whole-building and at the local level.
- Use M&V for building energy model calibration.
Effective as of Fall 2021
Measurement and Verification (BSCI 9230) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Measurement and Verification (BSCI 9230)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.