Familiarize students with the basic machining and machine tools. Students are instructed on safe working practices and the different procedures used in the manufacture and repair of shafts and flanges. The safe use of machining machines and safely fabricating and repairing shafts, housings and flanges will be covered. Students will be evaluated by the final project incorporating diversified lathe operations including cutting thread.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of MENG 0150 for the Fall 2022 term.
Mon Nov 14 - Fri Nov 25 (2 weeks)
- 2 weeks
- CRN 40445
Class meeting times
|Nov 14 - Nov 25||Mon - Fri||08:30 - 15:30||Burnaby NW06|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
Textbook - Machine Tool Practices will be required for course. Book is available at BCIT Bookstore by calling 604-432-8379 or toll-free within Canada 1-877-333-8379. Email firstname.lastname@example.org Student to provide their own work boots, coveralls, and safety glasses. NOTE: FOR THIS CRN-COURSE LOCATION WILL BE AT BCIT BURNABY CAMPUS (NW6) FOR THIS BMC COURSE. Please contact Dept. Head (Serhat Beyenir) at 604-453-4115 re course information.
This course offering is full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify workshop hazards and select appropriate shield for work being performed.
- Identify and describe mechanics hand tools.
- Identify and describe pneumatic and electric power tools.
- Demonstrate tool sharpening skills.
- Demonstrate turning between centres.
- Demonstrate boring.
- Demonstrate short and long taper.
- Demonstrate internal and external threading operations.
- Demonstrate short and long turning procedures.
Effective as of Fall 2007
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Machining: Basic Skills (MENG 0150)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.