In this course, students will become familiar with all aspects of safety when working in a machine shop environment. This course provides a basic understanding and practical experience of engine lathe and vertical mill operations. Students will be required to machine components according to drawing specifications.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Follow machine shop safety.
- Identify machine shop hazards and select appropriate personal protective equipment for the work being performed.
- Use basic layout tools and accessories.
- Calculate correct cutting speeds and feeds.
- Use precision measuring tools.
- Perform tool bit grinding.
- Identify the main parts of a lathe and mill machine.
- Perform basic lathe and mill operations including set up
- Explain methods of turning short and long tapers on a lathe.
- Explain external and internal threading operations on a lathe.
- Perform daily machine cleaning and maintenance.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Machining: Basic Skills (MENG 0150)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.