- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
The focus of this 125-hour clinical preceptorship is continued growth, integration, and consolidation of the perioperative scrub and circulating nurse roles. Licensed Practical Nurse learners will provide care for stable patients with predictable outcomes undergoing anesthesia and surgery in collaboration with Registered Nurses. Learners will further develop and advance skills, knowledge, and processes learned in previous clinical and theory courses. Learners will continue to apply key concepts of safety, surgical conscience, caring, and aseptic technique in the scrub and circulating roles as they collaborate with the multidisciplinary team to create of a safe and supportive perioperative environment for individuals and team members. Learners will continue to develop comprehensive assessment abilities, sound clinical decision-making processes, in partnership with the RN provide safe, patient-focused care at the novice level in the scrub and circulating roles. Learners will continue to use practice frameworks and a team nursing approach to support patients in both roles during anesthesia and surgery. Upon completion of the course, learners should be able to independently and collaboratively integrate scrub and circulating nurse activities at a novice level for non-complex surgeries.
- S in NSPO 7540
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
As a healthcare practitioner, you are expected to follow professional standards of practice throughout all SN programs and courses. In this course, you will have opportunities to use the processes of critical thinking, systematic inquiry, communication, collaboration, leadership, professionalism, and clinical decision-making. Upon successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
Upon successful completion of this course, learners should be able to:
- Apply the BCCNM LPN Scope of Practice to care for perioperative patients with stable and predictable states of health in collaboration with a registered nurse.
- Combine the scrub and circulating nurse roles to effectively and consistently enact the LPN's full scope of entry-level perioperative nursing practice.
- Organize core entry-level activities in the scrub and circulating roles for stable and non-complex patients undergoing common, less complex surgery.
- Employ beginning collaborative leadership strategies to promote and advocate for safe, competent and ethical patient care.
- Implement current ORNAC Standards of Care and relevant theory.
- Apply systematic inquiry skills to diverse sources of information in order to identify potential and actual problems related to the patient and procedure and consult with team members to determine when patient's acuity level is beyond LPN's Scope of Practice
- Use a practice framework to gather information in an organized and systematic manner.
- Independently implement a plan for individualized patient-centered care in the circulating role using a clinical decision-making framework.
- Demonstrate collaboration with a Registered Nurse when plan of care is beyond LPN Scope of Practice.
- Communicate with team members in a timely and systematic manner.
- Apply correct aseptic technique when preparing, monitoring, and maintaining the sterile field.
- Reflect on surgical conscience related to patient care in both scrub and circulating roles.
- Protect self, patient, and team members from risks and hazards encountered in the perioperative environment.
- Demonstrate in reflective practice in journaling, the clinical evaluation tool, and in response to feedback.
- Combine the circulating and scrub nurse role efficiently at the novice level under the supervision of a Registered Nurse.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2023
LPN Perioperative Clinical 3: Advancing Scrub and Circulating Nurse Roles (NSPO 7740) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
Interested in being notified about future offerings of LPN Perioperative Clinical 3: Advancing Scrub and Circulating Nurse Roles (NSPO 7740)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.