Provides the essential skills to manage a diverse construction workforce. Factors influencing performance, personality, culture and organizational norms, as well as the practical application of modern management concepts and techniques will be discussed. Skills will be developed through lecture, casework, assignments and discussions. Students are expected to complete several leadership and interpersonal skills related to the assignments in class. These skill developments provide the opportunity for practical application of the key course concepts being taught. Students are expected to actively participate in small group exercises by: working in teams on assigned tasks, contributing their ideas and showing group effort, as well as following through on their commitments and tasks assigned and using effective communication skills appropriate for the situation.
- 50% in BUSA 7250
Below is one offering of CMGT 7535 for the Fall 2022 term.
Wed Sep 07 - Wed Nov 23 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 39029
Class meeting times
|Sep 07 - Nov 23||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Burnaby NE01 Rm. 401|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
This course offering is full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Differentiate leadership from management in the construction industry.
- Apply the 'Leadership Framework' to workplace situations.
- Develop effective teams by applying the appropriate leadership style.
- Employ a motivation-oriented approach with individuals and groups.
- Communicate effectively with people who are of different personality types.
- Effectively address conflict situations.
- Critically analyze the work environment and its complexities on typical project sites.
- Contribute positively to organizational change.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Leadership and Interpersonal Skills (CMGT 7535) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Construction Management
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Leadership and Interpersonal Skills (CMGT 7535)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.