- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
All organizations rely on technology to deliver their core services and to achieve their business goals. As these organizations embrace digitization, they expose previously sensitive personal and corporate data to the risk of service interruptions, data loss and cyber-attacks. Senior executives look to technology leaders to provide risk based strategies to protect these data assets as well as to provide resiliency for business services. Protection of critical infrastructure and systems, data classification and compliance to legislation, standards and privacy laws are mandatory for organizations to thrive in the digital economy. This course provides a structured approach to adopting risk management disciplines and practices for organizations. Students will learn to identify vulnerabilities, threats and risks to the organization and specifically to information systems. Industry practice methods of risk assessment, risk mitigation as well as business impact analysis, business continuity, disaster recovery and incident response are the core learning outcomes from this course. The successful student will take away a clear understanding of risk management and a toolkit of practical approaches that can be applied to any organization.
- 50% in TMGT 7123
Below is one offering of TMGT 7156 for the Fall 2023 term.
Tue Sep 12 - Tue Nov 28 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 48137
Class meeting times
|Sep 12 - Nov 28||Tue||18:30 - 22:15||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course has mandatory virtual classroom sessions on Tuesdays, 1830-2215 (PST). Instructions for required course materials (and purchasing instructions if applicable) will be released by your instructor on the Learning Hub course instance. This course forms part of the Bachelor of Technology in TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT degree program. Be sure to sign in to The Learning Hub course instance in advance of your first session so you know how to attend. You may proceed to register for this course online, or by contacting Student Information and Enrollment Services (SIES) at 604-434-1610 or 1-866-434-1610 Toll-Free (Canada and US only).
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Analyze threats, vulnerabilities and exploits as part of a holistic risk management plan
- Compare and contrast industry standard risk assessment practices
- Compare and contrasts industry standard risk mitigation and approaches
- Implement risk assessment and risk mitigation practices to business and industry use cases
- Use business impact assessments, business continuity planning and disaster recovery planning best practices
- Evaluate and recommend administrative, technical and physical security controls
- Interpret and apply knowledge of laws, standards, investigations and privacy to propose appropriate security controls for information systems
- Conduct a multi-disciplinary research study in a specific area of information, network and cybersecurity
- Develop and implement an Incident Response plan for business continuity and cybersecurity disruptions
Effective as of Winter 2020
IT Risk Management (TMGT 7156) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of IT Risk Management (TMGT 7156)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.