- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This introductory course focuses on integrated solar photovoltaic (PV) and electrical systems in Zero Energy or Passive House homes. The course will outline the decision-making for planning, designing, and constructing/renovating a Zero Energy home with integrated solar PV and electrical systems. It applies “lessons learned” from case studies of Zero Energy homes equipped with solar PV technology. Key topics include critical elements of a design-build process, pre-design considerations and requirements, future-proofing for new technologies and electrical circuit load capacity, equipment and monitoring options, and hand-off best practices. This course is intended to be offered fully online or in a hybrid of online live lectures and discussions. The online learning model includes live lectures and complementary self-guided learning materials in the BCIT Learning Hub. This course may be eligible for students to receive funding through the StrongerBC Future Skills Grant at www.bcit.ca/financial-aid/strongerbc-future-skills-grant. Students register themselves into the course, then apply for the StrongerBC Future Skills Grant to cover payment, if eligible.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of XZEB 1150 for the Winter 2024 term.
Thu Jan 18 - Thu Feb 22 (5 weeks)
- 5 weeks
- CRN 90760
- Domestic fees $390.78International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Jan 18 - Feb 22
|16:00 - 19:00
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This is the final course required for the Essentials Net-Zero and Passive House Construction microcredential. Students should have successfully completed XZEB 1001 or equivalent prior to taking this course. This course has 5 online lectures scheduled for Thursdays Jan 18-Feb 15 (6PM-9PM PST). Instructional sessions are delivered through a live interactive web-lecture. Additional independent learning is completed in the online course portal (BCIT Learning Hub).
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the implications for electrical systems and building design when building to high levels of performance, such as Net Zero Energy, Net Zero Energy-Ready, and Passive House standards.
- Compare the benefits and costs of residential energy retrofitting strategies including:
- Envelope improvements (insulation, windows/door, airtightness).
- HVAC upgrades including fuel switch.
- Grid-connected solar PV installation.
- Describe the key elements (people, process, tasks) and decisions for an integrated solar PV system build.
- Explain the Pre-Design Considerations for an integrated solar PV project and identify critical decisions.
- Describe the solar PV design requirements and feasibility.
- List the preferred solar PV component and monitoring equipment types.
- Explain the roles of battery storage and hybrid inverter systems in grid-resilient new home and retrofit design.
- Explain the integrated-build hand-off specifications and requirements for construction.
- Describe factors affecting residential solar PV systems financials and adoption rates.
- Participate in design and decision-making processes involving case studies of single-family homes with Net Zero Energy, Net Zero Energy Ready, and solar-equipped energy retrofit design goals.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2022
Introduction to Solar Photovoltaic & Electrical Systems for Zero Energy & Passive House Homes (XZEB 1150) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Essentials of Net-Zero and Passive House Construction
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Introduction to Solar Photovoltaic & Electrical Systems for Zero Energy & Passive House Homes (XZEB 1150)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.