- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course provides an introduction into the field of finance. It first provides a framework on the functions carried out by finance professionals, as well as how it fits and interacts with a firm's other functional areas. Introductory coverage is provided for managerial finance, corporate finance, capital markets and financial planning. Finally, the course introduces a framework on the types of decisions and how those decisions are made to maximize a company's intrinsic value.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Describe the role of finance in the management of a business.
- Identify the roles of the financial manager.
- Compare and contrast the two principal financial decisions made by management: Investment decisions and Financing decisions.
- Explain the concepts of risk and return and how they are related.
- Explain in general terms the cash flow-based process of value creation.
- Describe the relationship between financial management decisions and capital market valuation.
- Differentiate between real assets and financial assets.
- Describe the different types of securities markets, how they operate and why they are important to the financial manager.
- Understand the concept of shareholder value maximization.
- Evaluate simple investment opportunities using the time value of money concept.
- Using simple examples, apply time value of money and other techniques to value common shares, bonds and other securities.
Effective as of Winter 2020
Introduction to Finance (FMGT 2540) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Introduction to Finance (FMGT 2540)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.