- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This three day, Instructor led synchronous online workshop will provide students with the latest techniques used to effectively gather online information for investigative purposes relating to persons, companies, and other assets. Students will be introduced to the methods of gathering online intelligence through social media platforms, search engines, and dark web searches. In addition, students will learn how to assess potential counter-intelligence concerns. Particular emphasis will be placed on heightened awareness and the "paper trail" investigators may leave behind when using internet investigation tools. Approaches to maintain privacy and security when carrying out online investigations will also be explored, and students will be introduced to a variety of online search methodologies.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the basis of Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) and Social Media Intelligence (SMINT).
- Use advanced internet searching tools and techniques to conduct online investigations.
- Understand advanced web browser usage, and apply techniques for searching the surface, deep, and dark web surfaces.
- Develop an internet search plan for operational use.
- Understand operational challenges that face the user when using online information.
- Demonstrate how to implement the covert usage of social media.
- Understand the dangers of personal & professional use of social media.
Effective as of Winter 2015
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Internet & Social Media Investigative Techniques (FSCT 0090)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.