In this course students will learn the principles of photovoltaic electrical energy production, system design principles and to install, maintain, and troubleshoot solar photovoltaic power systems. In the lab, students will graph the output of a solar module, combine solar modules to supply a charge controller, connect to an inverter to feed onto the power grid, compare micro-inverter PV modules with DC modules, configure data logging, and troubleshoot. In the field, students will work within existing systems in BCIT building SE1 and the OASIS project. Students will explore the principles of photovoltaic energy production, system installation, and troubleshooting as well as analyze energy production data logs, including from the BCIT Microgrid. Students will design systems where they will estimate the energy production of a grid-tie photovoltaic system, review site-specific design and installation documents in order to develop an implementation strategy, perform hazard analysis and risk assessment in order to manage safety risks, specify components for a small photovoltaic grid-tie system that includes a generator, and ensure that there is compliance with Canadian Electrical Code requirements, manufacturers’ instructions, and supply authority protocols.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply solar photovoltaic systems safety principles and practices including controlling for identified risks.
- Develop solar photovoltaic pre-installation on-site implementation strategy.
- Design solar photovoltaic systems.
- Install solar photovoltaic systems.
- Troubleshoot and maintain solar photovoltaic systems.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Installation of Photovoltaic Renewable Energy Systems (REES 6040) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Renewable Energy Electrical Systems Installation & Maintenance
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Installation of Photovoltaic Renewable Energy Systems (REES 6040)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.