This course provides the basis for understanding green wall technologies: living walls and green facades. Students will acquire the knowledge to decide which technology is best to “green” a specific wall. They will also acquire a good understanding of the different components involved in designing, planning, and installing these leading-edge technologies. In addition, students will learn about plant choices, growing medium, irrigation, job-site logistics, maintenance, and team management to guarantee the long-term viability of a green wall project. Students will participate in group discussions and in-class activities. Throughout the course, students will work on an individual course project.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Recognize the difference between a living wall and a green façade.
- Describe the different components required to design, plan, and install a green wall.
- Evaluate the feasibility and options for new and existing installations of green walls.
- Select appropriate plant material and other materials for the wall environment.
- Propose the most appropriate green wall design to match the design program, environmental mandate, and site/climatic conditions.
- Develop a project management timeline for an efficient green wall installation.
- Create a complete maintenance plan with long-term care requirements.
- Create a quote for a specific green wall project.
- Evaluate the risks and challenges related to the project.
Effective as of Fall 2014
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Green Walls - Design, Site Logistics and Implementation (GROW 1500)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.