The focus of this course is to help students identify the elements of effective online storytelling using journalistic principles. Students will research stories which reflect the experience of studying in different cultures and learning through the BCIT International Field School model to help develop their news sense. The course will take students through the essentials of how to find a strong, focused news and information-based stories and how to effectively interview to support the focus of their stories. They will also learn how to communicate that story with written and visual elements online. Students will share their reflections on their experience with international learning and storytelling in different cultures through the creation of a travel blog.
- Permission from the International Program Coordinator.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define and analyze the elements of an effective, focused story using journalistic principles
- Write captivating headlines for a news website
- Write a story for an online news website
- Produce online photos using effective photojournalism
- Conduct a focused interview
- Produce a travel blog with personal reflections on the culture of different communities visited
- In teams, tell news and feature stories visually with online photos and video using a smartphone
- In teams, produce visual and audio elements reflecting on the educational experience of a field school
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2017
Global Storyteller (BCST 5035) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Global Storyteller (BCST 5035)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.