Prepares part-time GIS students for their industry project or practicum. Topics include literature searches and reviews in a GIS topic/business of interest to the student, identifying a suitable project/practicum, establishing faculty and industry supervisors, developing a project/practicum plan and schedule, and writing a project proposal for approval.
- Completion of GIS technical core courses. Course registration is restricted to current students registered in a BCIT GIS program.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate thorough research and literature review techniques in a specialty area of GIS.
- Document research sources in a manner consistent with accepted practices.
- Define the scope and depth of a GIS project/practicum.
- Provide rationalization for how the chosen project/practicum will enhance the student's GIS skills and knowledge.
- Define the additional skills and knowledge required to successfully complete a project/practicum.
- Select the methodology or approach to complete a project/practicum.
- Estimate the time and effort expected for completing a project/practicum.
- Set the project/practicum milestones, schedule and resources.
- Write a professional proposal using the format and style required by Industry and BCIT GIS Department specifications.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skill in incorporating literature reviews and research results into the professional proposal.
- Use clear and concise language in the appropriate technical style.
- Format and structure information into appropriate segments of a proposal.
Effective as of Fall 2009
GIS Project/Practicum Proposal (GIST 7122) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Geographic Information Systems
Advanced Diploma Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of GIS Project/Practicum Proposal (GIST 7122)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.