The Fundamentals of Building Science course is a student-centered learning course. It provides essential knowledges of the building science that an energy modeler is expected to master. Each week's lesson includes a three-hour lecture. In this course, students learn the basic concept and principles of heat and mass transfer, thermodynamics and fluid dynamics in building applications. Topics include rudimentary heat conduction, convection and radiation process in building applications; Thermal performance of envelope interface details utilizing linear transmittance approach; psychrometric chart, refrigeration cooling and heat pump cycle, air flow through building components due to combined forces, and moisture transport in air and porous materials including vapor diffusion, convection, and capillarity. The application of analytical methods such as thermal network in solving typical heat and mass transfer problems through building envelope components and heat and mass balance within buildings will be illustrated as well.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Calculate the steady-state heat transfer between objects by conduction, convection and radiation.
- Calculate the friction loss of fluid (i.e. air and water) through conduit (i.e. duct and pipe).
- Evaluate the impact of surface emissivity on long-wave radiant heat exchange.
- Determine the state of moist air and the energy and moisture required for its state changes and mixing using a psychrometric chart and approximate equations.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Fundamentals of Building Science (BSCI 5100) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Building Energy Modelling and Performance Analysis
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Fundamentals of Building Science (BSCI 5100)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.