This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience (as described in the British Columbia power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Regulation) by providing the theoretical training required to enable graduates to challenge the Interprovincial Standardized Power Engineer's Examination for Part A - Paper 1 of a First Class Power Engineer's Certificate. On successful completion of this course, as well as courses POWR 1226, POWR 1227, POWR 1228, POWR 1229, POWR 1230, POWR 1231, and POWR 1232, plus the requisite qualifying experience, participants will have sufficient skills and knowledge to fulfil the requirements of the First Class Power Engineer's Certificate examinations administered under the British Columbia Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Program. Graduates should be able to apply the knowledge learned in this study program in improving their abilities to operate plant equipment within the scope of a First Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Topics include Applied Thermodynamic and Plant Cycles.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of POWR 1225 for the Winter 2023 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 19394
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
No online or phone registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via EMAIL ONLY. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance Generate book list to view/order the required material.
Upon successful completion, course participants will be able to:
- Fulfill the examination requirements for 'Part A - Paper 1' in the subjects of ASME Code calculations and applied mechanics.
- Describe principles and apply equations to determine unknown variables in calculation problems relating to the individual topics listed in the course outline for Applied Mechanics 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- Determine, describe and calculate CSA B51and ASME I and VIII Code requirements for design, construction and repair of watertube and firetube power boilers and unfired pressure vessels.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Interested in being notified about future offerings of First Class Part a Paper 1 (POWR 1225)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.