The purpose of the course is to give the student an understanding of the role finance plays in business and industry. Corporate finance is a tool that helps managers maximize the financial performance of a company for the long-term benefit of its shareholders. In this course students learn how firms can efficiently allocate their financial resources and how they can acquire those resources on as favourable terms as possible.
Below is one offering of FMGT 3555 for the Winter 2023 term.
Thu Jan 12 - Thu Apr 06 (13 weeks)
- 13 weeks
- CRN 87510
Class meeting times
|Jan 12 - Apr 06||Thu||18:00 - 22:00||Burnaby SW01 Rm. 3170|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Departmental approval needed
This course is intended for students that were unsuccessful in their first attempt at the following courses: FMGT 4561 – Finance for Business Management, FMGT 3550 – Business Finance 1; FMGT 3222 – Managerial Finance (MKTG). Please contact Samantha Rubinic at Samantha_Rubinic@bcit.ca with your BCIT Student ID number for approval to register in this course.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Describe and discuss the goals and functions of financial management.
- Analyze a firm’s financial statements using ratios, vertical analysis and horizontal analysis.
- Analyze the contents and the structure of the income statement, the balance sheet, the cash flow statement and the statement of changes in equity.
- Calculate present value, future value, annuity amounts, and rates of return and analyze time value of money problems.
- Develop cash budgets and forecast financial statements.
- Compare and contrast different sources of long-term financing.
- Measure the firm’s cash conversion cycle.
- Determine the optimal mix of working capital: receivables, inventory, cash.
Effective as of Winter 2015
Finance for Business Management (FMGT 3555) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Business Administration (General Option)
- Business Administration (Global Studies Option)
- Business Administration (Human Resources Option)
- Business Administration (Management Option)
- Business Administration (Marketing Option)
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Finance for Business Management (FMGT 3555)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.