This is a preparatory course for students to write the Transport Canada Engineering Knowledge “General” examination paper towards their Transport Canada 2nd Class “Motor” Certificate of Competency. All topics covered in this course are listed in TP 2293E under 27.9 – GENERAL ENGINEERING KNOWLEDGE (EXAMINATION CODE: 2EKG), and these are: Materials and heat treatment of metals; Properties of fuels and lubricants; Corrosion, detection, and handling toxic materials; Combustion; Instrumentation; Pumps and pumping systems; Steering gears; Auxiliary machinery; Power balance; Fire detection and prevention; Maintenance and operation of pollution prevention devices; and Dry docking practices.
- 3rd/4th Class Engineering Certificate (steam and/or motor).
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe properties of ferrous, non-ferrous, plastic, and ceramic materials used on ships.
- Describe heat treatment of marine components, and non-destructive testing methods used on ships.
- Describe the properties and safe handling of fuels and lubricants used on ships.
- Describe the construction, operation, and maintenance of an auxiliary steam generation plant.
- Describe different forms of boiler corrosion, and the chemical treatment of boiler water.
- Describe the various boiler defects, and methods of repairs.
- Describe the construction, operation, and maintenance of the main engine shaft line components.
- Describe the operation and use of common measuring instruments used on ships.
- Describe the operation and maintenance of pneumatic control systems used with ship’s machinery.
- Describe the problems of hull corrosion, and its prevention.
- Identify the safe operating procedures of carrying out repairs on ship’s electrical and control equipment.
- Describe international regulatory requirements, construction, operation, and maintenance of steering gear systems.
- Describe the construction, operation, and maintenance of machinery used for emergency and auxiliary purposes on board ships.
- Describe the construction, operation, and maintenance of the refrigeration and air-conditioning plant.
- Describe dry docking practices.
Effective as of Winter 2016
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Engineering Knowledge - General 2 (MENG 2001)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.