This practice-based course has been developed for nurses caring for patients experiencing mental health challenges or patients experiencing physical illness/injury with a concomitant mental health component. This course is suitable for all nurses working in rural, community, or tertiary hospital emergency departments as well as community settings. The following information provides a brief description of our course.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of NSER 7800 for the Fall 2022 term.
Tue Sep 06 - Fri Nov 25 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 32353
Class meeting times
|Sep 06 - Nov 25||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course is an elective course within the ER curriculum that may be suitable for some students and can also be taken on its own as continuing ed.
As licensed health care practitioners, all learners will practice in accordance with professional standards of practice throughout the course. Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Participants will utilize a mental health framework for the assessment of patients experiencing mental health challenges.
- Participants will demonstrate safe care for patients with a variety of mental health challenges.
- Participants will describe the effects of anti-psychotic, anti-depressant, and anti-manic medications.
- Participants will critically analyze the impact of mental health challenges on patients and their families.
- Participants will describe the ways in which mental health discourse impacts patients and the health care they receive.
- Participants will describe current theories explaining mental health challenges.
- Participants will reflect in writing about current practices in the care of people experiencing mental health challenges.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Emergency Nursing and Mental Health (NSER 7800) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Specialty Nursing (Emergency - Standard Option)
Bachelor of Science in Nursing Part-time/Distance & Online Learning
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Emergency Nursing and Mental Health (NSER 7800)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.