This course will teach students about the principles of backflow prevention and the testing of backflow prevention assemblies. This course will also prepare students to write the Cross Connection Control certification exam with the BCWWA. It is recommended that students be employed in a water or health related field when registering for this course. Students who want to attempt the BCWWA certification examination will need to pay a separate examination fee directly to the BCWWA. Exam registration is required two-weeks prior to the exam date. Students need to register first for this course at BCIT and pay their tuition to confirm their seat. They then need to register for the exam with the BCWWA and pay the exam fee. Contact information for the BCWWA can be found at www.bcwwa.org/. Registering for the exam without completing registration for this course at BCIT does not guarantee a seat in the exam. Students should ensure that they register for the exam date that matches the last day of the course.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of PPGS 0175 for the Fall 2022 term.
Tue Sep 13 - Tue Nov 01 (8 weeks)
- 8 weeks
- CRN 49323
Class meeting times
|Sep 13 - Sep 15||Tue, Thu||17:00 - 20:00||Online|
|Sep 20 - Sep 22||Tue, Thu||17:00 - 20:00||Burnaby|
|Sep 27 - Sep 29||Tue, Thu||17:00 - 20:00||Online|
|Oct 04 - Oct 06||Tue, Thu||17:00 - 20:00||Burnaby|
|Oct 11 - Oct 13||Tue, Thu||17:00 - 20:00||Online|
|Oct 18 - Oct 20||Tue, Thu||17:00 - 20:00||Burnaby|
|Oct 25 - Oct 27||Tue, Thu||17:00 - 20:00||Online|
|Nov 01||Tue||15:00 - 21:00||Burnaby|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Students are required to register for the certification exam with the BCWWA two-weeks prior to the exam date. Students must first register for this course with BCIT, and then register for the exam with the BCWWA. Those who register for the exam without registering first with BCIT will not have a seat to write the exam. The exam will take place on the final day of the course, which is November 1 at 3:00 PM. Students must contact BCWWA at 604-433-4389 to determine their eligibility for the exam. This has a hybrid course delivery, and students will require a computer with a stable internet connection. Days 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13 and 14 will be online. Days 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 12 and the exam day will be in-person. Students are required to have the most recent version of the Canadian Cross Connection Control Manual, which can be purchased either from the BCWWA or the BCIT Burnaby Campus Bookstore.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the physics of water in motion as well as water while in a static condition.
- Explain the physics which cause backflow conditions in a water delivery system.
- Differentiate between Potable and Non-Potable water delivery systems.
- Define the National, Provincial and Municipal requirements for backflow control.
- Identify the various types of backflow preventers and backflow prevention methods.
- Select the correct backflow preventer/ method for the backflow condition present
- Explain the installation requirements for all backflow preventers.
- Apply the current national test requirements for testable backflow preventers.
Effective as of Winter 2022
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Cross Connection Control Certification (PPGS 0175)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.