Participants will be introduced to the primary elements of the start-up and management of a construction company. Start-up sections include strategic planning, business plan development and marketing. Construction management sections include strategic alignment, bidding, estimating, procurement, costing, changes to the contract and a communication workshop. Health and safety responsibilities of a construction project will be introduced from the perspective of the prime contractor.
- Acceptance into the BTech Construction Management degree program.
- This course isn't currently offered through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define competitive bidding, estimating, and closing processes.
- Identify business related risks.
- Identify sources of potential clients.
- Explain effective change order processes.
- Discuss the role of a prime contractor on project work sites.
- Describe the importance of effective communication and organizational skills that are required for businesses to thrive in a competitive construction market.
- Illustrate ways to develop client relationships through strategic alignment, partnering, and marketing.
- Demonstrate the different responsibilities of the owner, consultants, and contractor on a project.
- Analyze one’s capabilities and resources in relation to business start-up requirements.
- Select the appropriate business entity document for specific business formats.
- Develop a Business Plan.
Effective as of Fall 2022
Construction Enterprise Management (CMGT 8435) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Construction Management
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Construction Enterprise Management (CMGT 8435)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.