There is a community and an audience online for just about every story, idea, and concept. The problem is that many people don't know how to create their ideas online, and to build and engage a community around those ideas. That is what you will begin to build in this course – a storyworld around your digital media endeavours (whether for personal branding, business or a project). This will include utilizing WordPress to build a professional website, optimizing SEO to that website and an associated youtube channel, niche audience building, creation of and participation in a digital storytelling campaign, measuring social metrics, crowdfunding, crafting appealing email newsletters, and developing a long term strategy for continued community engagement.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- This course has been retired and is no longer offered through BCIT Part-time Studies.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify unique methods of sharing your voice in a creative or business endeavour.
- Describe how storytelling can be used across media platforms to build brand imagery and loyalty.
- Formulate goals to be achieved through digital storytelling.
- Identify the story that will you help reach your goals.
- Develop a professional WordPress site.
- Explore ways to drive more viewers to a site and youtube channel, and improve a site and channel's SEO.
- Define SEO and identify ways to improve your site and channel's SEO.
- Identify your target audience.
- Locate your desired audience in niche digital communities, through social media, and on blogs.
- Engage your desired audience in the digital space.
- Build a storyworld around a site, youtube channel, social media feeds, and your desired community.
- Create an engaging email campaign.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Building Your Digital Media Presence (BCST 1073)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.