This course is designed to increase your comfort level with vehicle technologies. It builds on information widely available online to help you make connections between theory and actual application. Increase your comfort level to make better decisions around vehicle purchase, maintenance requirements and vehicle technologies. Explore the importance and limitations of vehicle safety systems, transitioning to electric vehicles and developing regulations around electric vehicle ownership. This introductory level course is not designed to perform maintenance or repairs on personally owned vehicles during the in-person session but will allow you to understand the nuances of the automotive repair industry from a consumer point of view.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of AUTO 1050 for the Fall 2023 term.
Wed Nov 15 - Wed Nov 22 (2 weeks)
- 2 weeks
- CRN 50217
Class meeting times
|Nov 15||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
|Nov 18||Sat||08:00 - 15:00||Burnaby NE16 Rm. 111|
|Nov 22||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This is a blended course consisting of online sessions and in-person class at BCIT Burnaby Campus. Nov 15: 3-hours online, Nov 18: 6-hours in person NE16, Nov 22: 3-hours online.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- List various types of vehicles to their maintenance requirements
- Discuss common underhood, around the wheel, under the vehicle interior and exterior components
- Identify basic hand tools and specialized shop equipment
- Describe different battery electric vehicle components
- Explain various battery electric vehicle operation and charging methodologies
- Discuss industry related terms for communicating with industry professionals
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2023
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Basic Vehicle Maintenance and Operation (AUTO 1050)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.