Focuses on the principles of peritoneal dialysis (PD), the application of the concepts of transition to the context and the theory of peritoneal dialysis, comprehensive nursing assessments and care of clients living with peritoneal dialysis, and integrating self-management and self-management support into practice. The emphasis will be on empowering clients on dialysis to self-manage through collaborative goal setting.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of NSNN 7425 for the Fall 2022 term.
Tue Sep 06 - Fri Nov 25 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 44614
Class meeting times
|Sep 06 - Nov 25||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
Course delivery is an online format. Students need to contact the Bookstore in order to obtain course materials. On the first day of class, log in to www.bcit.ca/learn to access your course. Contact the Program Head at 604-451-7104 for approval to register.
As licensed health care practitioners, all learners will practice in accordance with professional standards of practice throughout the course. Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Describe the principles of peritoneal dialysis.
- Identify the characteristics of a client suited to peritoneal dialysis.
- Describe the underlying physiological, psychological and social impacts of peritoneal dialysis.
- Explain the assessment process for peritoneal dialysis clients.
- Summarize common complications of peritoneal dialysis and the various strategies for complication management.
- Explain the efficacy of dialysis using clinical data.
- Apply knowledge of dialysis to develop care plans for peritoneal patients.
- Explore communication approaches that foster collaborative relationships with peritoneal clients.
- Create a personal action plan together with a renal patient, using the principles of adult education and self-care management.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Advanced Peritoneal Dialysis (NSNN 7425)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.