This course is the second of two courses (see OPMT 1710 Introduction to Lean Concepts). This course introduces the student to the Lean Bronze Certification Body of Knowledge while expanding on the topics covered in OPMT 1710 Introduction to Lean Concepts; it also highlights the management and leadership involvement in Lean and the key tools that support this involvement. Topics include: Ground rules and basic tools of Lean Production System, stability and standardization, Total Productive Maintenance (TPM), autonomation, Kaizen and Gemba walks, Just-In-Time production (JIT), creating a culture to support continuous improvement, leading others through problem solving, strategic planning using Hoshin Kanri, and the key role of metrics.
Below is one offering of OPMT 2710 for the Fall 2022 term.
Thu Sep 15 - Thu Dec 01 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 48116
Class meeting times
|Sep 15 - Dec 01||Thu||18:30 - 21:30||Burnaby SW03 Rm. 2765|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
No class on November 11
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply the principles of Lean thinking and the elements of the Lean Production System including the structure of the House of Lean.
- Measure the organization's culture for Lean preparedness and recommend follow up areas to improve the culture towards Lean adaptation.
- Differentiate between Muda, Mura and Muri while defining the main sources of waste.
- Analyze the importance of stability and standardization in the Lean Production System.
- Analyze the importance of visual management and total productive maintenance as key systems in supporting Lean initiative.
- Utilize Kaizen and PDCA/PDSA cycles as tools for continuous improvement.
- Demonstrate the concept of Hoshin Kanri for developing strategic alignment across the company.
- Demonstrate how to use, and when to apply, the basic leadership principles like delegation, empowerment, coaching, motivation, employee engagement and conflict management.
- Analyze the role of metrics and how to go Green with Lean.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2021
Advanced Lean Concepts (OPMT 2710) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Lean Business Improvement
Statement of Completion Part-time
- Lean Six Sigma Principles
Associate Certificate Part-time
- Operations Management (Management Engineering Option)
- Quality and Process Management
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Advanced Lean Concepts (OPMT 2710)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.