- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course introduces you to the Photoshop interface and tools to create or edit graphics and images for use on the web. You will apply colour theory and management knowledge using different colour modes and bit depth. Topics include painting and editing tools, cropping, rotating, creating selections, saving selections in channels, layers, typography, paths, masking, colour correction with curves and levels, and using filters. Photoshop tools will be used in creating graphical web page elements, and designing and aligning image components. You will format image files, optimize images for the web, design and construct a layered graphic, and retouch photographic images.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of MDIA 3203 for the Winter 2024 term.
Tue Jan 09 - Tue Mar 26 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 79246
- Domestic fees $683.61International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Jan 09 - Mar 26||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course will be delivered entirely online, however, is an asynchronous course which does not require that you meet each week at a specific time. Materials will be posted every week and students are required to check the content posted and submit assignments weekly.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Apply colour theory principles to demonstrate the correct use of different colour spaces for the web.
- Demonstrate the use of Photoshop tools and panels, including making selections, using layers; selecting, linking, showing/hiding, merging, flattening, editing, copying, moving, deleting and locking layers, adjustment and fill layers as well as layer groups, effects and styles.
- Create digital images using the Photoshop painting tools including the brushes, paint bucket, gradient, pencil, airbrush, shape, and line tools.
- Apply the use of blending modes as well as image manipulation techniques such as, flipping, rotating, cropping and resizing, adding borders or rounded corners to images.
- Correct typography and formatting using the Photoshop type tool and related options.
- Select the correct image file formats for different types of output.
- Optimize images to an appropriate file size and resolution for delivery on the web.
- Design and construct a layered graphic image.
- Edit, retouch, and restore photographic images using different techniques and tools.
- Colour correct images with levels, curves, variations, and colour range tools.
Effective as of Winter 2023
Adobe Photoshop for Web (MDIA 3203) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Adobe Photoshop for Web (MDIA 3203)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.