About the School
The School of Construction and the Environment is the best place to learn about the natural and built environments. We have a diverse range of courses, programs, and credentials. We're also moving towards an integrated and multidisciplinary approach with themes of sustainability, sociology, the humanities and more—including topics such as new building materials, alternative and renewable energy systems, construction practices in environmentally sensitive sites, life cycle design methods, and affordable and safe housing. Existing programs have been undergoing exciting, positive changes that benefit students and society.
Unique at BCIT
Here's what sets us apart (from 2016 BCIT Student Outcomes Reports for Graduates):
- We are the largest trades training institution in BC, providing the majority of apprenticeship training in the province.
- The median hourly wage of employed Apprentice program completers is $30.
- 98% of our School's degree graduates are employed.
- 96% of our School's employed diploma and certificate graduates were hired within six months of graduation.
- When asked if they were satisfied with their education, 100% of our degree graduates say, "Yes!".
Here are just a few of our notable programs:
- Building Science, Master of Engineering is a first-of-a-kind program in BC and western Canada.
- Building Engineering / Building Science, Master of Applied Science is a first-of-a-kind program in BC and western Canada.
- Mineral Exploration and Mining Technology is the only program of its kind in Western Canada.
- Sustainable Energy Management Associate Certificate (SEMAC) program is a partnership between BC Hydro and BCIT.
- Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Engineering is a nationally accredited degree. BCIT was the first non-University body to award an accredited Civil Engineering degree.
- Apprenticeships in programs such as Metal Fabrication, Plumbing, Steamfitting, Carpentry, Boilermaking and Ironworking are qualified for the Interprovincial Red Seal which is recognized throughout Canada.
- Security Systems Technician is a certificate program unique to BCIT.
- And more!
Our facilities include:
- Fire simulation theatre
- 77-seat Planetarium
- Operating demonstration forest and wood lot in Maple Ridge
- Salmonoid enhancement facility developed by BCIT students on the Seymour river
- Building Envelope Test Facility
- Elevated Research Platform (ERP)
- A housing demonstration project, AFRESH Home
- Green Roof Research Facility
- Building Science Materials Laboratory
Refer to the BCIT fact sheet for interesting facts about our School and Institute.