- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
A measurement is a comparison of an unknown quantity with some well-defined standard quantity, called a unit. The measured quantity is specified as a multiple of the standard quantity (the unit). Physical quantities (such as length, voltage, and pressure) that belong to the same category can be compared. Obvious examples of measurement would be length measurement in carpentry or voltage measurement in the electrical trades. However there are so many occupations that involve measurement, be it nursing (blood pressure, body temperature), food science (calorie content, viscosity), power engineering (pressure, flow rates), or sonography (where measurements of size, density, and velocity are made within the body). This course will provide an overview of Metrology, the science of measurement for those either interested in the field, or for those considering a career involving measurement as a core competency. *Note: Thank you for your interest in a BCIT – Free Online Learning course. You are about to register for the course. If you are new to BCIT, you will first need to create a BCIT ID. Then, log in with your ID and password to register. Once registered, log in to learn.bcit.ca with your BCIT email address and password to access your online course. If you are new to BCIT, it may take up to 24 hours for your course access to become active. Because these are not credited courses, and you are not paying a fee, there may be student resources you come across that you are not entitled to access. This would include Student Aid and other financial assistance. Enjoy your learning and we’re happy to support your lifelong learning journey.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of MOOC 0371 for the Winter 2024 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 89386
- Domestic fees $0.00International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand basic metrology terminology.
- Analyze different measurement instruments and determine their limitations.
- Describe how to correctly report a measurement.
- Understand the two commonly used unit systems, and apply the rules of the SI system.
- Apply conversion factors to use dimensional analysis to check the validity of given or calculated values.
- Use estimating techniques to validate results and determine order-of-magnitude results for “Fermi-type” problems.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2021
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Metrology, the Science of Measurement (MOOC 0371)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.