This 8-module course serves as an introduction to the dynamic forces which enhance effective communication between persons from various cultural backgrounds. Its goal is to encourage intercultural communication competency, otherwise known as ICC. Due to rapid globalization, ICC is no longer an option, but a necessity for us all.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of MOOC 0257 for the Winter 2023 term.
Start any time
- 12 weeks
- CRN 89845
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 12 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Differentiate between effective communication vs. effective intercultural communication competency
- Recognize perceptual barriers to intercultural competence (ethnocentrism, bias, racism) in themselves and others.
- Think critically about how global colonialism and racism have inspired global social movements that aim to eradicate both
- Evaluate and reflect upon their intercultural selves through appreciative inquiry
Effective as of Fall 2021
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Intercultural Communication Competence and Diversity Awareness (MOOC 0257)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.