Am I eligible to go on exchange?
Would you like to experience a new culture and new academic setting? Full-time students of the Architectural Science, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, and Interior Design programs are eligible to spend a semester or two on exchange at one of our partner universities while earning credits towards your BCIT credential.
Where can I go?
Which partner institution best suits your academic and personal goals? Choose from:
- Biberach University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
- HAWK University of Applied Sciences and Art (Germany)
- University of Ferrara (Italy)
- Politecnico di Milano (Italy)
- Metropolia University of Applied Sciences (Finland)
- The University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria Wels Campus (Austria)
Each year there is a limited number of openings. The timing and nature of course offerings will depend on the choice of institute, and acceptance into the program.
How much does it cost?
You will pay regular tuition fees during your semester on exchange. The cost of going on exchange mainly depends on where you decide to go. Vancouver has a very high cost of living, so many destinations will seem less expensive than what you’re used to. There are also several scholarships and awards available.
How to apply
Students interested in applying for a semester at a partner university should email us the following information by the appropriate deadline:
- A completed application form [PDF, 150KB]
- A digital portfolio of design work (Interior Design and Architectural Science students only)
- Outgoing Exchange Budget Worksheet [DOCX, 1MB]
- A Statement of Interest, no longer than one page in length, which includes:
- Your name, student number and current program of study.
- An explanation as to why you would like to take part in the International Exchange program.
- How this experience will enhance your personal, professional and/or academic goals.
- The qualities you possess that make you an above average ambassador for BCIT. Provide an example of when you have demonstrated your ambassadorial skills.
- A list of any previous travel to foreign destination(s) or activities, which would help you prepare for an exchange experience.
Application deadlines for the exchange are as follows:
(September – December)
(January – May)
*The deadline for Civil Engineering students is February 15 regardless of the term being applied for.
We do our best to respond to applicants within 5 business days of the application deadline.