Let us help you select the correct evaluation type for your general application: Basic or Comprehensive.
Organizations with predetermined evaluation types
Do you already know what organization you are applying to?
Some organizations have already determined what type of evaluation report you will need to apply: Basic or Comprehensive. Check the list of Organizations using ICES to see if the organization you’re applying to is on the list. If it is on this list, it means that your organization has decided for you if you require a Basic or Comprehensive evaluation.
If your organization is not listed, you will need to self-identify which report you need: Basic or Comprehensive.
Supplemental Report with Comprehensive Report
Some organizations require specific information from ICES in addition to a Comprehensive Report. If your organization requires a Supplemental Report, it will be stated in the list of Organizations using ICES. Supplemental Reports require an extra fee in addition to the Comprehensive Report fee, make sure to review our list of general application service fees to understand the full cost.
Choose your evaluation report type
- Most useful to those seeking general employment.
- Lists each fully or partially completed educational credential and its comparable credential in Canada.
- Lists the academic institution attended with a brief program description, and the number of years of education completed.
- Normally takes a minimum of four weeks to complete from the date all necessary documents are submitted.
- A Comprehensive Report includes all the information in a Basic Report but also lists courses and converts both grades and credits or units, and provides a calculation of the grade point average (GPA).
- In order to complete a comprehensive evaluation that includes a grade point average (GPA), please supply documentation of ALL courses failed or improved during your studies for EACH examination or course attempt. Applicants without this information will receive a report without a GPA.
- Most useful for seeking employment in a professional occupation, or admission to a post-secondary institution.
- Identifies the language of instruction.
- Normally takes a minimum of seven weeks to complete from the date all necessary documents are received by ICES.
Upgrades from Basic to Comprehensive
For a fee, you may request an upgrade from your Basic Report to a Comprehensive report. Please refer to the General Application Fee Schedule for costs.
Evaluations that require additional research or documentation may take longer to complete than the timelines originally indicated.
Step 2: Requirements
If you know which evaluation type you require (Basic or Comprehensive) it’s time to learn about your document requirements.