Skip to main content

If your educational documents are not in English, they must be included with a complete word-for-word (literal, not interpretive) English translation. If you are submitting your documents from outside Canada and cannot obtain a translation from a Canadian-certified translator, you may submit a translation from an official translator in your home country. This translation must also be completely accurate or ICES will require a new translation from a Canadian certified translator. Translations of French documents are not required.

Items such as marks sheets, transcripts, diplomas, certificates, and grade books must be translated in their entirety, including information appearing on the reverse side of any document. For calendars, course outlines, and syllabuses, only those pages describing courses and other information specific to your credential need to be translated.

To obtain a list of certified translators in Canada, please contact your local immigrant serving agency or one of our recommended providers. It’s best to first search the STIBC site or one of the provincial associations part of CTTIC:

  • Society of Translators and Interpreters of British Columbia
    Tel: 604-684-2940, Fax: 604-684-2947
  • Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC)
    1, rue Nicholas Street, bureau 1202
    Ottawa, ON Canada K1N 7B7
    Tel: 613-562-0379, Fax: 613-241-4098

Requirements of a translation

Translations may be conducted from original documents or copies of those documents. To be accepted by ICES, they must meet the following requirements:

  1. The translator must attach to each translation a signed copy of the educational document on which the translation is based.
  2. All document copies submitted for evaluation must be stamped with the translator’s official stamp. The document copy accompanying the translation will be verified against the original document submitted to ICES.