Let us help you understand what documents are required to apply for your ECA evaluation.
When considering your application, please be aware that it is entirely your choice as to which credentials you would like evaluated by ICES. We generally recommend having your highest level credential evaluated however it is your choice if you wish to submit multiple credentials.
Documents required for application
You must supply ICES with the following documents:
- Colour copy of current, government issued photo identification document that indicates current legal name and date of birth. Submit one of the following: valid passport, national identification card or driver’s license. This document can be submitted directly by the applicant in the application portal.
- Colour copy of the front and back of each final award such as a degree, diploma or certificate. To begin the application, a PDF copy will act as a placeholder until the official document can be delivered directly from your educational institution or educational authority.
- Colour copy of the front and back of each academic record such as a transcript, marks cards, or diploma supplement. To begin the application, a PDF copy will act as a placeholder until the official document can be delivered directly from your educational institution or educational authority.
- [Required for foreign language documents only] Copies of the literal (not interpretive) certified translations of each of the above documents into English. If ICES receives any document from that requires translation, ICES will contact you directly to request a translation.
Please note that it is not necessary to submit the back of a document if it is blank.
Official documents (such as degrees, diplomas, certificates, transcripts, marks cards, academic records or diploma supplements) are documents that must come directly from your educational institution or educational authority.
Standards for official documents
For a document to be considered official, it must meet the following standards:
- Mailed or emailed from your educational institution directly to ICES office
- Document has never been handled by client, client’s friend, relative or any third party
- Bears proper seals, signatures, and postal markings (for mailed documents)
Requirements for official documents
Please make sure that your official documents meet the following requirements:
- ICES only requires official documents for the credential(s) that you have requested to be evaluated. Please only arrange for the official documents to be sent to ICES that relate to this credential. Do not send extra documents that do not relate to the specific credential being evaluated.
- The documents must confirm what you have studied and that you have completed the program.
- In most cases an official transcript is sufficient as long as the completion of the award is noted within. If confirmation of the award is not present in the academic transcript, please arrange for a copy of the award to be included.
- If a degree or transcript cannot be re-issued, applicants may make arrangements for an official letter of confirmation to be sent directly to ICES. This letter of confirmation must include details about study and the credential awarded (including the date of award). This confirmation can be sent by mail or by email as long as the source can be confirmed.
- If translations of official documents are required, clients will be contacted once official documents arrive to ICES.
- Please do not arrange for multiple sets of official documents to arrive, as this may delay the completion of your evaluation report. Choose email or mail for submission; not both.
How to submit official documents
ICES requires that you supply official documents (such as degrees, diplomas, certificates, transcripts, marks cards, academic records or diploma supplements) by sending them directly to ICES from your educational institution or educational authority.
Your educational institution or educational authority can submit your official documents to ICES by mail or by email. ICES only requires documents to be sent by email or mail, not both.
Your educational institution or educational authority can submit your official documents by mail to:
International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES)
3700 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, British Columbia
CANADA V5G 3H2
Official documents can also be sent by the academic authority directly to our office via email at email@example.com
Please have your institution include your client number in the subject of the email.
Official documents must be sent from a traceable university issued email account (educational domain) and signed by an appropriate university authority (i.e. registrar, controller of examinations, head of records etc.). Emails from generic accounts will not be accepted (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please ensure your school is not simply forwarding your scans. Documents must be stamped/signed or verified by an appropriate authority before they send them to us.
Official documents are also acceptable from online digital services. Examples include but are not limited to My eQuals, Parchment, Credential Solutions, Truecopy and Student Clearing House.
The above email address is not used for client correspondence.
Step 2: Service fees
If you’ve read all the document requirements, you’re ready to move onto step 2 and learn about service fees for ECA applications.