Before you begin your online application, you should be prepared.
Online application checklist
Please note: each applicant must apply individually using a unique email address. You cannot apply as a family or couple.
Go through our simple checklist to make sure you are ready to apply:
- Know which credentials you want evaluated.
- Have colour copies of documents ready in PDF format (5MB maximum size per file). To begin the application, a PDF copy will only act as a placeholder until the official document can be delivered directly from your educational institution or educational authority.
Please have these PDF files prepared before application:
- Colour scans of identification
- Colour scans of academic records or transcripts (this PDF will act as a placeholder until the official document arrives)
- Colour scans of certificates, degrees or diplomas (this PDF will act as a placeholder until the official document arrives)
- Translations of the above documents if they are not in English
- Have your credit card ready. Online applications only accept payment by credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express). You will be charged the applicable Service Fees. Don’t have a credit card? Apply by mail.
Do not create multiple accounts
Do not create multiple accounts with different email addresses or if you already have a previous BCIT or ICES client number.
Multiple accounts with the same account information will generate an error message and delay your application. If you have problems with your account, please contact us immediately.
For those who already have a previous BCIT (ex. A01234567) or ICES client number, you will need to provide us with the mail-in application form.
Processing time & application status
ECA processing times will depend on the current volume of applications.
When you have completed your online application, you will be able to check your application status. You can find out more information on our application status page.
Updating a general evaluation to a ECA application
If you have already completed an online application for a general evaluation, you may apply for an updated report online. This option is available in the ECA application online portal.
When applying for the updated ECA report, please be sure to include a colour photocopy of current, government issued photo identification containing your legal name and date of birth (eg. passport, national identification card, or driver’s license).
ECAs must be based on official documents sent directly from your institution to our office.
Final delivery of your ECA report
Once your ECA report is completed by ICES, you have the choice to receive the final report by regular mail or by courier. We do not provide digital copies. The report will not be available on your online account nor is it sent by email. When applying via our online application portal, you will be asked to select regular mail or courier delivery service. Regular mail does not require payment of an extra fee. However, regular mail does not provide a tracking number. For an additional cost, ICES provides a courier delivery service that includes a tracking number.
ICES is not responsible for lost or misdirected mail. It is your responsibility to keep ICES informed if your contact information or postal address changes (in writing).
Courier deliveries cannot be made to post office box numbers. If your only address is a post office box, we will default to regular mail for the delivery of your assessment.
Ready to start your online application?
Please note: The online application only accepts credit card.
Our application portal is open Monday - Friday and will not be available on weekends from Saturday 12:00am (PST) to Monday 12:00am (PST). Access reopens each Monday at 12:01am Pacific Standard Time (PST).
ICES highly recommends using our online application portal. However, if you have a situation which prevents you from applying online–such as not having access to a credit card–you can apply by mail.