Orientation & Registration 2015
Orientation Day 2015
Your program orientation day is Tuesday, September 8, 2015.
Please review the following information and continue to check your myCommunication account for information on your program orientation. More information will be posted as it becomes available.
1. What to do before you arrive
Before arriving on campus, take care of these items ahead of time for a smoother transition:
- Review the BCITSA Student Health Plan
- Get your BCIT ID card and U-Pass BC
- Plan your textbook purchase
- Watch this message from BCIT Safety, Security & Emergency Management and register for Pre-purchase parking passes for your first day
2. When to arrive & where to be
Review the appropriate schedule to confirm your orientation location and time (below). This information will also be sent to your myCommunication account.
- School of Business
- School of Computing and Academic Studies
- School of Construction and the Environment
- School of Energy
- School of Health Sciences
You will arrive to your designated room at the time indicated in the schedule for your program orientation. Here you will meet with some of your faculty and they will conduct a session which includes specific program information, as well as BCIT policies and best practices.
Regular classes for most technology students begin on Wednesday, September 9.
Trades & technical studies students
You will go directly to the building at the date and time indicated on your acceptance letter to meet your instructor. They will conduct an orientation on your specific program, as well as introduce you to BCIT policies and best practices. Apprenticeship students can also refer to this page for helpful links and specific information.
For students starting September 8, 2015 only: After reporting to the building specified in your Admissions acceptance notice for your program orientation, you will be escorted to the BCIT Expo in the Great Hall. Your instructor will give you further directions on the day. Students commencing studies with other start dates will also receive an orientation from their instructor and are not required to attend on September 8.
3. Important places
Orientation Day will be busy! Don't worry about trying to find your way alone, there will be plenty of students and staff to help you get where you're going. Just look for BCIT volunteers who will be happy to assist you. These are some important places on campus that you'll need to know about during your first few days as a BCIT student:
- Uconnect Resource Centre
- Food Services
- The Great Hall (Building SE2)
- Safety and Security
4. Welcome to the community
You've already made a good decision in choosing BCIT to study. Get involved this year in all areas of campus life. While you are here to learn, take the time to get to know your fellow classmates, build some solid connections, and enjoy new experiences that will enhance your education.
Check out our President's and Student Association President's welcome messages, and don't forget to follow BCIT's Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
5. Upcoming events
The first few weeks of school is a great way to meet your new BCIT community. The BCIT Student Association is organizing two weeks of events.
Some of this year's events include:
- Tuesday, September 8 (10:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.): Orientation Expo in the Great Hall, Campus Square and SE-2 Courtyard.
- Wednesday, September 9 (10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.): Welcome Back Fair in the Great Hall in SE-2.
- Thursday, September 10 (10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.): Tech Day Vendor Fair in the Great Hall in SE-2. High performance technology fair and interactive gaming events and displays.
- Friday, September 11 (11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.): SA Spotlight Day in the Great Hall in SE-2. Find out more about SA services, upcoming events and get food samples.
- Monday, September 14 (10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.): Health & Fitness Day in the Great Hall in SE-2.
- Wednesday, September 16 (10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.): Clubs Day in the Great Hall in SE-2. Find out more about student clubs at BCIT and enter contests for prizes.
- Friday, September 18 (3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.): FroshFest 2015 in the Campus Square outside SE-2. Join the BBQ and dance to the band!