Orientation & Registration 2014
Orientation Day 2014
Your program orientation day is Tuesday, September 2.
Please review the following information and continue to check your myCommunication account for information on your program orientation. More information will be posted as it becomes available.
1. What to do before you arrive
Before arriving on campus, take care of these items ahead of time for a smoother transition:
- Review the BCITSA Student Health Plan
- Get your BCIT ID card and U-Pass BC
- Plan your textbook purchase
- Register for BCIT Alert
- Pre-purchase parking passes for your first day
2. When to arrive & where to be
Review the appropriate schedule to confirm your orientation location and time (below). This information will also be sent to your myCommunication account.
- School of Business Orientation Schedule
- School of Computing and Academic Studies Orientation Schedule
- School of Construction and the Environment Orientation Schedule
- School of Energy Orientation Schedule
- School of Health Sciences Orientation Schedule
Regular classes for most technology students begin on Wednesday, September 3.
Trades & technical studies students
You will go directly to the building at the date and time indicated on your acceptance letter to meet your instructor. They will conduct an orientation on your specific program, as well as introduce you to BCIT policies and best practices. Apprenticeship students can also refer to this page for helpful links and specific information.
For students starting September 2, 2014 only: After reporting to the building specified in your Admissions acceptance notice for your program orientation, you will be escorted to the BCIT Expo in the Great Hall. Your instructor will give you further directions on the day. Students commencing studies with other start dates will also receive an orientation from their instructor and are not required to attend on September 2.
3. Important places
Orientation Day will be busy! Don't worry about trying to find your way alone, there will be plenty of students and staff to help you get where you're going. Just look for BCIT volunteers who will be happy to assist you. These are some important places on campus that you'll need to know about during your first few days as a BCIT student:
- Uconnect Resource Centre
- Food Services
- The Great Hall (Building SE2)
- Safety and Security
4. Welcome to the community
You've already made a good decision in choosing BCIT to study. Get involved this year in all areas of campus life. While you are here to learn, take the time to get to know your fellow classmates, build some solid connections, and enjoy new experiences that will enhance your education.
Check out our President's and Student Association President's welcome messages, and don't forget to bookmark BCIT's Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages.
5. Upcoming events
The first few weeks of school is a great way to meet your new BCIT community. The BCIT Student Association is organizing two weeks of events.
Some of this year's events include:
- Tuesday, September 2: New Student Orientation, expo, tours and more!
- Wednesday, September 3: Welcome Back Expo in the Great Hall
- Friday, September 5: BCITSA Spotlight Day, including lots of info, samples and freebies from the Student Association in the Great Hall.
- Monday, September 8: Health and Fitness Day in the Great Hall – freebies, tips, tricks and info.
- Wednesday, September 10: Clubs Fair provides an opportunity to be involved on campus and find out what they’re all about. Check it out in the Great Hall.
- Friday, September 12: FroshFest returns to BCIT! The biggest party on campus is back complete with live music and BBQ. Event takes place in Campus Square at 3pm. Get your tickets early and find out more on facebook.com/bcitsa.