Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about finding your materials
You can browse or purchase online using your course number(s) (eg. FMGT 1100, TELC APP Level 1). If you don't know your course number(s), you can retrieve them by logging into your student account. If your course number does not appear at all, please go to class first, as there are likely no materials required.
Approximately six weeks before your course(s) start. For example, if your course starts on April 7th, so you will be able to view and order course materials around the end of February. However, because course materials may change prior to term start and our return policy allows returns two weeks from date of purchase, we do not advise buying your books early.
Be aware that course materials are posted as requests are received from your instructors, so your course can show no materials today but have several listed tomorrow. Check the website often for additions and changes, and be sure to read the returns policy.
We will have the highest inventory of used books immediately after our monthly buyback. You will be able to purchase used books online if that option is not greyed out. Please note that used copies might sell out in our store while you are placing your order, which would affect our ability to fill your order. In that case, we would contact you by email and ask if we can change your order to a new version at the new book price.
Used books with access codes will likely not include a working version of that code, as these are one-time use and time sensitive. The access code might need to be purchased separately through the publisher.
When your instructors select materials for your course, we update the information into our systems right away. We still have to order and price the materials or have the materials printed so we will not have it in stock for three or four weeks after first listing it (depending on its availability from the publishers). Also, sometimes it is not possible to have accurate pricing until the book arrives along with an invoice.
Questions about orders
Orders are processed within two business days. After shipping, your order will take about two business days to be delivered if you are located within British Columbia. Transit times outside B.C. vary.
Extra processing time will be required during the weeks prior to and during September, January, and April Rush.
Online orders are ready for pick up two business days after your order is placed and will be held for 60 days. We will attempt to contact you at the email address you provided us if your order has not been picked up by this time. After this time, any unclaimed purchases will either be recycled or reabsorbed into inventory without refund.
If you can't make it into the Bookstore Annex before 4:00 pm, select "Library after 4 pm pick-up Bldg SE14" as your shipping method at checkout. You will receive an e-mail confirmation and your order will be ready to pick up at the library front counter two business days after it was placed. Check hours of operation.
Please contact the Bookstore and we can make the necessary changes for you.
Jumpbooks will email you the access code and instructions as soon as your order is processed, typically within one to two business days.
Questions about Jumpbooks (e-books)
Jumpbooks are textbooks with enhanced functionality that are available in digital format. Jumpbooks are purchased at your local bookstore and delivered electronically to your computer via Jumpbooks.com. You save money with the low prices and gain functionality with the enhanced features Jumpbooks offers. You have the ability to search the entire text for a word or phrase, add comments, create your own bookmarks, and print on demand from your personal computer or laptop.
Jumpbooks can be purchased in our Burnaby campus store and our website. When you purchase in-store, remember to keep your receipt. This will have your activation code, which is required to access your book. When ordering online, please set up your BCIT Bookstore account using a valid email address that you check regularly, as you will be emailed the instructions and access code.
Please note: Jumpbooks will be specified as "E-Book (Jumpbook)". If the Jumpbook is also available as a printed book, there will be a note to "Choose one." Do not order both the Jumpbook and the printed version of the same book.
- A computer that meets the browser or system requirements below.
- A high-speed Internet connection. Because Jumpbooks are large files, a high-speed Internet connection is required to ensure you can access or download your Jumpbook quickly and effectively. A connection to the Internet is required for reading a Jumpbook if you choose the recommended, online-viewer option.
- An account on Jumpbooks.com. Register here.
- The receipt number and access code found on your bookstore sales receipt.
If you have all the items listed above, activate and download your Jumpbook today!
All CourseSmart titles will expire. The Jumpbook expiration date can be located on the back of each Jumpbook tag in the bookstore. The time until expiration begins at the moment you activate your Jumpbook, and the number of days left in your subscription shows in your CourseSmart bookshelf.
Yes, most Jumpbooks have no limitations regarding printing. In the event a Jumpbook does have a printing restriction, it can be located on the back of the each Jumpbook tag in the bookstore.
Yes, if your Jumpbook is in the CourseSmart digital format, you may "check out" chapters or sections at a time to read offline. Follow the steps below, or watch the Tutorial.
- From your CourseSmart bookshelf, select the desired eTextbook.
- Click the button to enable offline access.
- Select the chapters or sections to "check out" the chapters for offline use.
- Once the chapters are available for offline use, you can view the downloaded chapters in your browser, even while offline.
- The offline reader supports key features like notes, highlights, copy, and searching the current page.
- In order to access the selected chapters offline from another browser-enabled device, these chapters must be checked back in using the tools in the CourseSmart web site.
- The check out process may be repeated multiple times, and the entire eTextbook may be accessed offline.
- You may only store chapters offline on one device at a time.
- Jumpbooks.com recommends that you download your Jumpbook to a non-public computer (a personal computer or laptop) to ensure that you can successfully retrieve the file after download.
- Currently the offline access requires a browser with HTML5 support, such as Firefox 3.6 or higher.
Jumpbooks are refundable within two weeks of purchase, if less than 20% has been read or printed.
You can read your Jumpbooks provided by CourseSmart on supported mobile devices such as Android mobile devices, iPhones and iPads. You will need to download a free application and have an active Internet connection. The CourseSmart App for iPhone and iPad is available through the App Store. The CourseSmart App for Android devices is available through the Android Marketplace. Read more information on mobile devices.
Email Jumpbook Support with the following information:
- Steps to reproduce the problem (in as much detail as possible)
- Exact text of any error message (screen shots are helpful)
- URL(s) of any error page(s) you encounter
- Title(s) of problem download(s)
- Download or Online viewer version
- Receipt number and access code
- Operating system (Windows XP, Windows 7, Mac OS X, etc.)
- Internet browser and version (Internet Explorer 8.0, Firefox 6, etc. In most browsers, find this under Help > About.)
- If applicable, device type and operating system
Questions about Textbook Buyback
Buyback is your chance to sell unwanted textbooks. Bring your textbooks in during the dates and times and an independent used book wholesaler will determine their value and offer you up to 50% of the new book price.
There is no guarantee that a book will have a Buyback value, and BCIT Bookstore staff do not have answers about the value or need for your textbooks.
- In order to get the best price, sell your book as early as possible.
- Please bring your BCIT ID card.
- Books that are damaged or have excessive highlighting or writing in them may not be purchased.
What if your books are not needed at Buyback?
If your books are not bought at Buyback, you can browse or post your books in our peer-to-peer online textbook swap section below.
Online textbook swap
BCIT Bookstore SwapBuy and sell textbooks and course materials for Burnaby and satellite campuses.
- Distance Education & Online Learning Online Swap Buy and sell textbooks and course materials for Distance Education and Online courses.
- Downtown Campus Swap Buy and sell textbooks and course materials for Downtown Campus
Questions about returns
Returns are restricted. If you wish to return something you bought online, please call Customer Service at 604-432-8379 before sending it back. (Shipping is at your expense). Check our returns policy for details.