International Student Orientation
Fall 2017 International Student Orientation at Burnaby Campus
Our Fall 2017 International Student Orientation at BCIT Burnaby Campus will be a great chance for incoming international full-time students to meet helpful staff and new friends while learning about all the facilities and resources available to make your time at BCIT a success. The orientation will cover important topics for international students such as medical insurance, study permits and life in Canada through a series of presentations, workshops, and small-group activities. There will also be plenty of time for chatting with your new friends and future classmates at our wrap-up party featuring a live DJ, prize giveaways and a free BBQ lunch for all attendees!
When: Wednesday, August 30th and Thursday, August 31st, 2017
Where: BCIT Burnaby Campus (3700 Willingdon Ave., Burnaby, BC, V5G 3H2)
For whom: All new international students beginning a full-time program at Burnaby Campus in September 2017, including exchange and study abroad students
How to register: Online registration will be open from July 17th to August 18th, 2017. A link will be sent by email to all students who should attend this orientation.
We look forward to welcoming you to BCIT soon! In the meantime, please see our tips for preparing to come to Canada to start your program at BCIT.
7 ways to prepare yourself before traveling to Canada
2. Purchase additional medical insurance if you arrive earlier than August 29th (full-time international students starting a program on September 5th will automatically be covered by Guard.me International Medical Insurance beginning on August 29th)
3. Research housing options and make sure you have somewhere to stay when you arrive
4. Book your airline ticket, and plan for local transportation from Vancouver International Airport to your accommodation
5. Learn about resources available for newcomers to British Columbia
7. Register for International Student Orientation (registration open from July 17th - August 18th)
10 things to do to make a smoother transition once you arrive in Canada
1. Settle in to your new accommodation and explore your new neighborhood
2. If you’re staying in rental housing, make sure to get a signed copy of your rental contract and detailed receipts for any payments you make (learn more about tenants’ rights in BC at tenants.bc.ca
3. Attend International Student Orientation at BCIT
4. Show your original study permit to International Student Centre staff at BCIT
5. Apply for MSP, BC’s provincial health care system (not available for exchange and study abroad students)
6. Set up a Canadian bank account
7. Get connected with a phone and internet connection, and make sure to stay in touch with your family and friends back home – they care about you!
8. Buy a Compass Card to be able to use public transit, and make sure to register your card at compasscard.ca
9. Get a BC Services Card/Driver’s License, which is the officially recognized ID card of British Columbia (not available for exchange and study abroad students)
10. Be open to meeting new people and having new experiences!