Eligibility and Exemptions
Who is eligible for U-Pass?
U-Pass BC is available to students who meet all of the following criteria:
- Accepted into and remain declared in eligible full-time studies programs*
- Registered into courses which are delivered in Metro Vancouver
- Registered into a minimum of 3.0 credits or whose tuition exceeds $170.00 per month of study
- Assessed a Student Association Fee
*Please refer to the full-time tuition fee schedules to view eligible programs.
Who is not eligible for U-Pass?
The following students are not eligible for the U-Pass BC program:
- Students who register for individual courses through part-time studies
- Students registering for individual courses at the BCIT Marine Campus
- Technology Entry, ISEP and Business Management Studies (BMS) students
- Students registered as welding upgraders
- Full-time students who are on an incoming exchange, outgoing exchange or study abroad program
Who is eligible for exemption from U-Pass?
U-Pass BC is mandatory for eligible BCIT students. However, the following can apply for exemption:
- Students who hold a valid U-Pass BC from another post-secondary institution in Metro Vancouver
- Students who are permanently or temporarily disabled and whose physical or cognitive barriers cannot be accommodated by using the U-Pass BC
- Students who hold a valid TransLink Pass, such as a BC Transit Employee Pass, BC Transit Government Bus Pass, CNIB ID Card, Community Pass, Employee Pass, Government Bus Pass or War Amputee Pass (A Monthly Fare Card does not qualify as a TransLink Pass)
To request an exemption, please submit the applicable form(s) to the U-Pass BC Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.