Central Stores is responsible for the disposal of hazardous and dangerous waste products, which includes the recycling / reclaiming of the items listed below.
You may wish to visit the BCIT Sustainability website to read about environmental initiatives, practices, and policies at BCIT, for items such as paper, beverage containers, wood, and metal recycling.
What we can do for you:
- To see that all hazardous or dangerous wastes are properly disposed of in accordance with Federal, Provincial, City, and Institute policies or regulations.
- Any dangerous or hazardous waste brought to us or if we are advised of the locations of such items will be disposed of in accordance with any policies and regulations.
- The cost for disposal is handled by an Institute account.
What you can do for us:
Ask Central Stores or Safety and Security for assistance with identification of waste products when needed.
Hazardous waste, chemicals, or other products should be brought to Central Stores, properly identified.
- Battery, Dry-cells: These are disposed of by the City of Burnaby. Drop off any used dry-cell batteries on the receiving dock at SE12 (first floor) or at any Student Association The Stand store.
- Battery, Wet-cells: These are disposed of by a private vendor who will pick-up the batteries when a number of them have been collected. Drop off any used wet-cell batteries at the battery holding area located between buildings NE18 & NE16.
- Toner Cartridges: May be returned to Central Stores for recycling.
- Tires: Tires are disposed of by a private vendor who will pick-up the tires when a number of them have been collected. Drop off any used tires at the tire holding area located between buildings NE18 & NE16.
- Drums, 45 gallon: Drums that are empty, are disposed of by a private vendor who will pick-up the drums when a number of them have been collected. Contact Central Stores to arrange for disposal. Ensure the “bungs” are replaced on each drum.
- Drums, 45 gallon: Drums that have been used to hold waste solvents, oils, or other fluids will be picked-up and held by Central Stores for disposal. Ensure the “bungs” are replaced on each drum and that each drum is properly identified.