Important info about your rights and responsibilities as an employee in BC can obtained from the Employment Standards Branch, 1-800-663-3316.
Join your local industry association! Student memberships are often free or nominal, and provide access to many student-oriented seminars and events. It's a great resource for networking with professionals in your line of interest, and identifying industry-related job posting boards. Get involved and get noticed!
General job search engines
Job search engines can be good sources for job postings, however hires still happen by building networks with real people! Search the sites, send out your resume, and follow-up via telephone or in person.
- Fresh Gigs - Canada's Jobsite for Qualified Marketing, Communications and Creative Professionals
- jobpostings.ca - Canada's student job site. Pick up your free copy of Jobpostings Magazine at Student Employment Services (SW1-1022)
- Canada Indeed - A comprehensive Canadian job search engine
- CareerBuilder - Online recruitment service
- Civic Info BC - Job postings and information about the BC local government sector
- Cool Jobs Canada - Canada's Hospitality and Retail Job Site
- Craigs List - Job listings in Vancouver, BC
- Indeed Job Search - Canadian Job Search
- Job Bank - Local on-line job postings from HRDC
- Job Freeway - Job White Pages for Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
- jobpostings.ca - Search current job opportunities, connect with employers, and read up on the latest employment trends, options, and career advice
- jobpostings eMagazine - View employers looking to recruit students this year; read up on the latest employment trends, career options, and career advice
- jobshark.com - International job search engine
- Monster - Some BC job postings
- Workopolis Campus - Canada's largest national job site for students
- WorkBC - Information for job-seekers within British Columbia
- WorkBC Labour Market Navigator - Explore Career Options
- workopolis.com - Features job postings from all major newspapers in Canada including Vancouver Sun and Province
- WowJobs - "Canada's largest job search engine"
- Futurpreneur Canada - A foundation that provides start up financing and mentorship to entrepreneurs between the ages of 18 - 39, who are interested in starting their own business once they have completed their schooling.
- adzuna - A two-year-old London-based firm now expanding into Canada, Australia, Brazil, South Africa and Germany, combs through the Internet for job openings and posts them, in real time, on its site. It's essentially an aggregator, "like Google, for jobs." Adzuna ranked the top 45 cities in Canada by comparing current job vacancies listed on Canadian website job boards, including Workopolis, Monster, CareerBuilder and regional sites, with the number of people claiming jobless benefits, culled from Statscan's latest employment insurance data. The report also looks at salaries and which skills are in hottest demand by city.
- Neuvoo - aggregates all jobs from employers career's website
- Aspect BC
- jobs.gc.ca - Federal Government recruitment site; includes government job postings, Co-op and Internship opportunities, Federal Student Work Experience Program, and Management Trainee program
- My World Abroad
- Working in Canada
- Work BC
Quick guides for helping students understand global career skills.
There are lots of internships out there but some of the good ones are a little hard to find. Use this list as a starting point, but do your own research and you'll probably find some additional ones of interest to you. Internships range in length from four months up to two years. Some are paid, some unpaid, but the experience is usually fantastic. Many of these internships state you must be between 18-30 and unemployed, so check the requirements carefully before you apply.
- AbilityEdge - Internships for graduates with disabilities
- AIESEC - International internship exchanges for over 250 students annually in Accounting and Finance, Business Administration, Management and Economics, Computer Applications and Programming, Marketing and Engineering/Technical Fields
- Campus Access - A good list of internships for Canadians, in business, government, technology, international development and more
- Canadian Directory of Internships - Over 250 Canadian, American and international internships are listed in this CACEE directory - searchable by keyword or discipline
- Canadian Federation of Students - Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP) - Canada's largest exchange program for work and travel abroad
- CIDA International Youth Internships - Gain a valuable first work experience in an international development setting
- jobpostings.ca and jobpostings eMagazine - Search current internship opportunities in Canada
- Young Professionals International - The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade's Youth International Internship Program providing youth with a first international work experience that will further the objectives of Canada's foreign policy
- Environmental Careers Organization - Offers opportunities for post-secondary graduates to gain experience in national or international environmental projects
- Natural Resources Canada - The Science and Technology Internship Program will provide relevant and meaningful work experience to recent graduates in science, engineering or business. Also available in French.
- Government of Canada Publications - Internships in developing countries for young Canadians with skills in information and communication technologies
- United Nations Association in Canada - Offering internship opportunities to graduating (ed) students at a multitude of media hosts.
- BC Technology Industries Association - Click on "Jobs" for links to member companies
Applied and natural sciences
- Canadian Council for Human Resources in the Environment Industry
- Careers in Oil and Gas - A virtual career fair for the oil and gas industry
- Petroleum Place - Postings from around the world with a wide range of career choices within the field, and also contains resumes of oil and gas professionals
- Mining industry online job fair - Info Mine
Biotechnology and nanotechnology
Computing and information technology
- T-Net a BC-based site specializing in information and job postings for the IT sector
- Discover IT
- Future Works
- Information and Communications Technology Council
- Tech Vibes
- Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia
- Association of BC Land Surveyors
- Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C.
- SCWIST - a non-profit association for Canadian Women in Science and Technology
- Health Match BC
- BC Association of Medical Radiation Technologists
- Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists
Trades and apprenticeship
- Industry Training Authority - BC's dynamic and comprehensive resource about skilled trades and apprenticeships
Labour market information and career planning
Find out occupations related to your goals, identify which occupations will be in demand now and in the future, and learn about expected salary ranges and more.
- Canada Salary Search - Research salary information from over 5 million actual job postings in Canada
- Industry Sectors - One-stop information about industries, with links to associations and corporate websites
- Technology and Trades - Profiles of occupations in technology and trades
- Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology (SCWIST) - Great resource and support for women in technical fields
- BC Labour Market Outlook [PDF] - The report provides the most up-to-date information on the types of jobs and skills that will be in demand in B.C. between now and 2027
- BC Job Search Guide - Online videos and worksheets for effective job search in BC
International / volunteer/resources section
- Work Gateways - How to get a job, work visa, bank account and everything else
- Uniterra - Volunteering abroad
- Overseas Immigration
- Volunteering Solutions - An organization that provides safe, professional and affordable International volunteering opportunities in different countries.
- Effortless English - Best Practices for job interviews if English is your second language