Recently, BCIT’s Safety, Security and Emergency Management (SSEM) team has been alerted to unacceptable activity in the women’s washroom located near the front doors of the Gateway building on the Burnaby Campus. This includes sexually explicit graffiti and defacing of BCIT property and directly violates our policies. We take this seriously, have reported it to the RCMP, and have launched a comprehensive internal investigation.
Our number one priority at BCIT is to ensure the health and safety of our staff, students, and faculty. By working, learning, and living together we create a stronger and safer community. In that light, I want to remind all community members to be mindful of their surroundings and please report any suspicious behavior as follows.
- For urgent matters please contact 911 or SSEM at 604-451-6856
- For non-urgent concerns, you can complete a confidential report online, through the BCIT SafetyWise App, or leave a voicemail on our Tip Line at 604-454-2222.
With the beginning of a new semester, I also want to remind the BCIT community that we have extensive safety and security measures in place at all of our campuses.
- The free BCIT Safety Wise Mobile App is the most convenient source of safety information and emergency communication when you need it most. The app connects you to BCIT security staff, emergency resources, safety tips, and comprehensive campus maps with the touch of a button.
- Safer Walk – If you want someone to accompany you to your campus destination, please call 604-451-6856. This service is available 24/7 at the Burnaby Campus.
- Blue emergency telephones are located throughout our campuses and provide direct lines to BCIT Security.
- Security guards are on site and available 24/7. They also conduct routine bike patrols.
- In-house telephones are located throughout the main buildings on all BCIT campuses for key internal calls, including BCIT Security.
Director, Safety, Security & Emergency Management