Part-time Studies FAQs

Here are some of the top questions people have about Part-time Studies.

Requirements & registration questions:
Getting started questions:

Requirements & registration

What is BCIT’s English Language Proficiency Standard for Part-time Studies courses?

English is the language of instruction and communication at BCIT. All applicants and registrants, regardless of citizenship status or country of origin, must demonstrate an adequate level of proficiency in English.

Learn more about English language proficiency requirements at BCIT.

Can I register after the course has started?

Many courses allow you to register prior to the second class. Contact Student Information and Enrolment Services to discuss your options. Registration is also subject to seat availability in the course.

How do I register into a course that is full?

Registration for Part-time Studies courses is processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Students should be aware that space in courses is limited; some courses fill very quickly. No further registrations are accepted for full courses. If there is a cancellation before the course start date, then that seat will be released and registration will be re-opened on a first come, first served basis.


How do I withdraw from a course?

All Part-time Studies course withdrawal requests must be submitted using the official PTS Withdrawal form. Please ensure that you sign your name in the Signature field, and that you provide a date.

If submitting your completed form by email, please send to You must use your myBCIT email address so that Student Records can verify the legitimacy of your request. Incomplete forms, or forms submitted using a non-myBCIT email address cannot be processed. Please click here for more detailed information on withdrawing from a Part-time Studies course.


How do I do I transfer out of the course in which I am currently registered?

Contact Student Information and Enrolment Services to request a transfer from one course to another. The transfer is subject to a $16 fee and must be requested and processed before the refund deadline.


My course is cancelled. What should I do?

If minimum enrolment for a course is not reached, it may be cancelled. BCIT will cancel courses no later than two business days prior to the start date. Variations to this practice will be stated in the course outline.

If your course is cancelled, an email will be sent to your myBCIT account. You will receive a cheque for a full refund within four weeks. You may also transfer your fees to a different course by contacting Student Information and Enrolment Services.


Is financial assistance available?

Limited financial assistance is available to eligible students registering for part-time programs and courses. Contact or visit Student Financial Aid and Awards for more information.


Getting Started

What do I need to do before my first class or online session?

Our Part-time Studies Orientation web page will help you get prepared. It provides an overview of BCIT services and information, including:

  • myBCIT
  • Distance and online learning
  • Textbooks and materials
  • Classroom locations
  • Parking

How do I log in to myBCIT?

You will need your username (your BCIT ID student number (A00_ _ _ _ _ _) and your initial password is your birthday in this format: YYMMDD. You can search for your BCIT ID online or reset your password if needed.

The Student Information and Enrolment Services office is also here to help.


Do I have to come to the BCIT Bookstore to buy my textbooks and course materials?

Not necessarily. You can shop online or by phone at 604-432-8379 or 877-333-8379 (toll free within Canada). If you're on a budget, you may even want to look for used textbooks. Avoid line-ups by buying what you need before the course starts.


Where do I park when I go to class?

Parking rules and rates differ depending on which campus you are attending. Our Parking at BCIT web page will provide you with all the information you need.