Part-time Studies Instructor Resources
Your dedication and hard work help to ensure the excellence of service and standards that are part of the tradition at BCIT. Click on the links to find important information and resources for Part-time Studies instructors.
Professional development opportunities
Please visit the Learning and Teaching Centre website for instructional skills workshops schedule and other professional development opportunities for PTS instructors offered at BCIT
myBCIT information for PTS instructorA personal myBCIT account has been set up for you which includes your myBCIT email account, plus access to your Faculty Self-services portal. Learn more about your myBCIT account.
Viewing your class lists
You can view who has registered for your course(s) in your myBCIT faculty self-services [PDF].
When on a BCIT campus and connected to BCIT SECURE (wireless or ethernet) you can print your class rosters from Cognos web service (reports.bcit.ca). Log in using your A0# and myBCIT password. Learn more about Cognos reporting [PDF].
Instructional Materials Developers — Learning and Teaching Centre
The Learning and Teaching Centre (LTC) offers BCIT instructors various services in instructional design and education technology at no charge. Part-time instructors can get help with learning activities such as online courses, quizzes, exams, case studies, audio and video scripts, graphics, and multimedia.
The LTC instructional materials developers (IMDs) are experienced editors and writers who can help with the wordsmithing of your text. We’ll ensure that your instructional materials are easy to understand, grammatically correct, and appropriate for your audience.
Here’s a sampling of what we can do:
- copy editing for grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- stylistic editing for clarity, syntax, and flow
- editing for plain language
- establishing the appropriate tone and reading level for a specific student audience
- developing or organizing material
- ensuring consistency in terminology, organization, and voice
- ensuring sensitivity to cultural and gender inclusiveness
- matching visual and written content
- developing video scripts—“writing for the ear”
For more information or to request writing or editing services, please contact Barb Adamski, IMD Coordinator or call 604-454-2283.
Change to local ‘student’ account in computer labsIT Services has changed how the local ‘student’ account works in the computer labs.
Please see KB article for more details .
Access to BCIT electronic applications and services
BCIT Safety Wise
BCIT has a Safety Wise app that you'll want to download. It has a lot of useful features, such as push notifications in the event of a campus emergency. You can use it to call for help, report a concern, or just find your way around campus. Learn more in the SafetyWise video. Then, download the app. Learn more about Safety on Campus.
Orientation for Part-time Studies InstructorsEach term BCIT contracts industry experts like you as part-time instructors who come to the Institute with knowledge and enthusiasm – the Orientation for PTS Instructors helps you to succeed, whether instructing in a classroom or online.
- be fully aware of the expectations and responsibilities as a PTS instructor (both administratively and instructionally)
- become familiar with the administrative processes and tools you must use for course outlines, final grades, etc..
- be knowledgeable about the services available that support your instruction and enhance your students’ learning experience
- be familiar with the other services available to support students in their learning
The Orientation is presented online using BCIT’s Learning Hub online course delivery system. Activities are spread over four weeks which includes facilitated participation online, as well as personal coaching and mentoring during the first two weeks of PTS term start. All the information you need is in one place; you will enter into online discussions with other part-time instructors, and complete a series of exercises to strengthen your administrative knowledge. The time commitment for participants is approximately 6 hours, and can be completed at your own pace from anywhere there is a stable internet connection.
The Orientation for PTS Instructors has been developed to support faculty who instruct online, as well as those who instruct in the classroom. You will indicate your primary mode of instruction at the start of the Orientation, and Learning Hub provides Orientation content appropriately. For those participants who instruct both in the classroom and online, no worries! The information for both deliveries is available to all participants, although the expectation is that you successfully complete the Orientation for just one course delivery mode.
Register by contacting your Program Lead to say that you're interested in participating!
myBCIT information for PTS instructors
A personal myBCIT account has been set up for you which includes your myBCIT email account, plus access to your Faculty Self-services portal. Learn more about your myBCIT account.
Be involved, contribute, stay in touch on the LOOP!
PTS instructors have the opportunity to interact with colleagues, join in conversations, and contribute to the decision-making process at BCIT through the LOOP - BCIT's online networking environment. Collaborate on documents, ask questions, voice your opinion or start a conversation of your own. To get started, log on to the Part-time Studies community
Instructor Resource Centres
Part-time Studies instructors have full access to the four BCIT ‘all-schools’ Instructor Resource Centres. Each centre is equipped with computers, printer, telephone and other office essentials (stapler, paper cutter, etc.). Additionally, there may be dedicated workspace reserved for part-time instructors within your school; please ask your program area.
There are three Instructor Resource Centres located on the Burnaby campus, and one downtown:
NE1-306A Please use phone in NE1-202C. Contact your program assistant for copier codes.
SE14-139 604.454.2239 (24/7 availability through the Eh!Pod)
Please be respectful of others when using these facilities:
- Do not have lengthy telephone conversations when others are working in the room
- Tidy the area you have been working in before you leave
- Do not use the facilities for personal printing, web surfing, or as a lunch room
- Be aware that others in the room may be trying to concentrate on their work
All centres have secure card access; therefore, instructors must have an active BCIT Employee ID card to enter.
Changes to PTS Final Grades Entry
PTS Final Grades Entry has been updated so as to be compatible with new generation web browsers. Users must now save their entered grades before completing any attendance and/or failure reports. If the Final Grades are not saved, they will not be retained when the user returns to the main grades entry page.
Student Life Early Assist
Supporting Student Wellbeing
BCIT values its students and their wellbeing. Early Assist is a reporting system that provides BCIT faculty, staff and students an opportunity to identify students who may be struggling personally or academically, and offer them appropriate support and services at an early stage.
- Make a report if you recognize that a BCIT student may be having difficulties
- Learn more about the Early Assist program
Retirement Guide for Part-time Studies Instructors
If you contributed to the College Pension Fund, find out what provisions your pension will cover.
Banner GradeBook set-up and marks entry videos on YouTube
PTS Instructor Telephone Support
- ITS support for evening classes - 604-412-7444 (Option 4)
- Facilities (spills, messes and other classroom issues for Bby campus) - 604-432-8777
- Learning Hub support (regular office hours only) - 604-412-7444 (Option 2)
- Academic and Employment Issues - please call your Program Lead directly.
- PTS Systems Tools - Banner Gradebook, PTS Final Grades Entry, etc. (regular office hours only): Robb - 604-453-4058 or Shari - 604-432-8784
PTS Classroom Instructor Check-list
The PTS Classroom Instructor Check-list is an organizational tool that touches on key tasks required in preparation for your first face-to-face class.
BCIT information management policy
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with BCIT policy and associated guidelines for Acceptable Use of Information Technology as well as the policy and associated guidelines for Information Security.
View all BCIT policies.
Best wishes for a successful term!