Mass timber is a category of wood-based building materials that uses timber, a sustainable and renewable material, as the main raw material for structural elements that are prefabricated off-site under controlled conditions. This industry is expected to grow in the near future due to mandates from the BC Government, as well as changes to the 2020 National Building Code of Canada.
This microcredential seeks to introduce students who have construction experience to the mass timber industry, and explore some of the fundamental features and tools associated with mass timber construction.
This microcredential will:
- Provide an overview of the main characteristics and properties of mass timber products.
- Outline basic structural components, connections, and building systems, as well as site installation for mass timber construction.
- Introduce the main types of building enclosures based on climate considerations and code requirements.
- Provide fundamental knowledge about building system performance in terms of fire performance and sound insulation.
- Provide basic principles of construction management including construction planning.
- Provide visualization of a mass timber construction project.
- Introduce the basic principles of cost estimation for mass timber construction.
- Introduce digital manufacturing with wood and digital project delivery.
Registration into the first course in the Introductory Studies in Mass Timber Construction Microcredential includes all related program fees. The regular cost for the Introductory Studies in Mass Timber Construction Microcredential is currently $693.02* for the Fall 2023 term (*for domestic students), which includes all tuition fees and related student fees for both courses in the program (i.e. XTMB 1001 and XTMB 1002). Note that fees are subject to change without prior notice.
Please follow the links to each course’s information page for additional details:
- XTMB 1001 – Mass Timber Construction: Intro to Products, Layouts, Cost Estimation and Digital Project Delivery
- XTMB 1002 – Mass Timber Construction: Intro to Installation, Building Performance and Construction Management.
The Introductory Studies in Mass Timber Construction Microcredential is comprised of two courses: XTMB 1001 – Mass Timber Construction: Intro to Products, Layouts, Cost Estimation and Digital Project Delivery, and XTMB 1002 – Mass Timber Construction: Intro to Installation, Building Performance and Construction Management.
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.