Course outlines are provided here for your information and reference as they become available and have received the required approvals.
Available BCIT course outlines can be accessed by selecting the term, the course subject and the course number from the dropdown list(s) below. If outlines are available for your selected term and course, they will then be listed. If any of these steps don’t result in what you are looking for, it indicates that no outline is currently available. If you are looking for an outline from a current term please check back closer to the start of the course or consult another outline from a previous term. Please keep in mind that the content from previous outlines may be different than current offerings of the course. For historical outlines not covered in this system please contact BCIT Library at 604-432-8370 to see if they have the outline you require.
The course outline is a statement of educational intent and direction, providing BCIT students with clear, concise, accurate and readily available information related to course content and administration. BCIT course outlines are governed by Policy 5403 and the creation of course outlines is subject to the procedure described in 5403-PR1.
Mass Timber Construction - TMBR
While no outlines currently exist for this course, below are the course learning outcomes/competencies.
Course Learning Outcomes/Competencies
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the function of the critical barriers for mass timber enclosures.
- Explain the moisture tolerance of mass timber enclosure assemblies.
- Describe sources of moisture and common control strategies.
- Describe common air control strategies.
- Describe common vapor control strategies.
- Describe thermal insulation strategies.
- Explain how climate zones in Canada and R-value requirements impact the assembly of mass timber construction.
- Explain how building codes in Canada impact assembly of mass timber enclosure assembly.
- Describe the differences between the building codes for mass timber construction in Canada.
- Describe the differences between prescriptive and performance-based building codes in Canada as pertaining to mass timbers.
- State new step code requirement for new buildings.
- Describe passive house concept.
- Describe the main differences between floor, wall and roof assemblies with respect to moisture, air, thermal, vapor and cladding attachment.
- For a given assembly, identify the appropriate barrier and installation approaches and describe the advantages and limitations of each.
- Describe the typical construction considerations for exterior insulation including options for cladding attachment.
- Describe the safety considerations for storage, handling and assembly of mass timber enclosures.
Effective as of Winter 2021