Course outlines are provided here for your information and reference as they become available and have received the required approvals.
Available BCIT course outlines can be accessed by selecting the term, the course subject and the course number from the dropdown list(s) below. If outlines are available for your selected term and course, they will then be listed. If any of these steps don’t result in what you are looking for, it indicates that no outline is currently available. If you are looking for an outline from a current term please check back closer to the start of the course or consult another outline from a previous term. Please keep in mind that the content from previous outlines may be different than current offerings of the course. For historical outlines not covered in this system please contact BCIT Library at 604-432-8370 to see if they have the outline you require.
The course outline is a statement of educational intent and direction, providing BCIT students with clear, concise, accurate and readily available information related to course content and administration. BCIT course outlines are governed by Policy 5403 and the creation of course outlines is subject to the procedure described in 5403-PR1.
Medical Laboratory Science - MLSC
While no outlines currently exist for this course, below are the course learning outcomes/competencies.
Course Learning Outcomes/Competencies
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Perform safe and professional work practices in the Hematology Laboratory for normal adult and pediatric patients and non-malignant conditions according to established protocols, safety guidelines, and existing legislation.
- Verify relevant data and pre-analytical information to ensure that appropriate Hematology specimens are procured, handled and disposed of according to established protocols for normal adult and pediatric patients and non-malignant conditions.
- Perform common manual Hematology techniques according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Identify normal and non-malignant cells and features of peripheral blood smears for adults and pediatric patients within acceptable confidence limits.
- Operate automated CBC analyzers according to the User Manual and/or SOP provided; processing QC, normal adult and pediatric samples.
- Validate test results according to established protocols for normal adult and pediatric patients and non-malignant conditions.
- Interpret laboratory test results in consultation with reference ranges provided for normal adult and pediatric patients and non-malignant conditions.
- Document and report normal, abnormal, and critical test results according to established Hematology laboratory protocols for adult and pediatric patients.
- Integrate the principles and practices of quality assurance and quality control to obtain reliable patient results for normal adult and pediatric patients.
- Practice the principles of quality management with regard to laboratory resources.
- Apply critical thinking skills for effective problem solving especially with regard to unexpected and/or implausible results and initiate appropriate action prior to reporting normal adult and pediatric patients and non-malignant conditions.
- Demonstrate effective communication (written and verbal), teamwork skills, and inter-disciplinary and inter-professional collaboration.
- Practice the CSMLS Code of Professional Conduct.
Effective as of Winter 2022