Course outlines are provided here for your information and reference as they become available and have received the required approvals.
Available BCIT course outlines can be accessed by selecting the term, the course subject and the course number from the dropdown list(s) below. If outlines are available for your selected term and course, they will then be listed. If any of these steps don’t result in what you are looking for, it indicates that no outline is currently available. If you are looking for an outline from a current term please check back closer to the start of the course or consult another outline from a previous term. Please keep in mind that the content from previous outlines may be different than current offerings of the course. For historical outlines not covered in this system please contact BCIT Library at 604-432-8370 to see if they have the outline you require.
The course outline is a statement of educational intent and direction, providing BCIT students with clear, concise, accurate and readily available information related to course content and administration. BCIT course outlines are governed by Policy 5403 and the creation of course outlines is subject to the procedure described in 5403-PR1.
Media Communications - MDIA
While no outlines currently exist for this course, below are the course learning outcomes/competencies.
Course Learning Outcomes/Competencies
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Conceptualize, plan, storyboard, shoot and edit video content. Analyze strategies for creating video concepts that attract an audience or meet client business goals and metrics.
- Describe the entire process of making a video ad from conception to final output.
- Explain the job of the video ad director and describe the key various roles of a crew.
- Develop and write a script/screenplay that is properly formatted to your story’s genre.
- Design storyboards using industry apps on your phone.
- Explain the various stages of shooting an ad, including development, pre-production, production, and post-production.
- Combine a variety of techniques to successfully shoot a compelling ad.
- Interpret camera coverage and describe how each shot type contributes to the anatomy of a scene.
- Utilize best practice techniques for shooting and conducting an interview, such as camera technique, make-up, optimum ways to record sound, attire, etc.
- Explain what Error and Omissions (E&O) is and know when to get releases.
- Utilize various types of editing styles/conventions to enhance the emotion of the ad.
- Import various forms of file types for editing, including, QuickTime, mov, MP4, still images, and various audio file types.
- Export videos to various codecs to meet client specifications. This includes strategically choosing a codec, such as H.264, .mov, .avi, or ProRes to accommodate compression goals, and then outputting at the appropriate size (1080, 720, or SD (standard definition).
Effective as of Winter 2016