Over the next few weeks IT Services will begin upgrading all employee @bcit.ca email inboxes from the current Exchange 2013 environment to our new Exchange 2019 environment.
What will happen during the mailbox migration
- You can continue to work in Outlook.
- Email delivery will not be affected.
- No emails in your primary or archive mailboxes will be lost.
What will happen after the migration
- If you have Outlook for Windows open when the migration completes you will receive the following popup and will need to restart Outlook.
- If you have Outlook for Mac open when the migration completes it will not display a popup, but it may need to be restarted before you can see new incoming emails.
- No action is required for mobile devices using ActiveSync.
- You’ll see an upgraded Outlook on the Web experience the next time you login at mail.bcit.ca.
Who to contact with problems or feedback
Please contact the Technology Service desk at 604-412-7444, option 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter any problems during or after your mailbox migration.
What has changed in Exchange 2019
The web experience has undergone multiple enhancements in Exchange 2019. You will notice that mail.bcit.ca has a new look and feel with a more modern interface. Using mail.bcit.ca on a mobile device also provides a significantly improved user experience.
Some of the new features include:
- New Outlook on the web action pane that allows you to quickly click those actions you most commonly use such as New, Reply all, and Delete. A few new actions have been added as well including Archive, Sweep, and Undo.
- Document Preview & Editing allows you to quickly view & edit common Office documents directly in the browser using Office Online Server (same technology used in ShareFile).
- Calendar has an updated look and new features, including email reminders for Calendar events, ability to propose a new time in meeting invitations, improved search, and birthday calendars.
- Calendar – Better Out of Office: Additional options when you won’t be in the office. Key options include: add an event to your calendar that shows you as Away/Out of Office, and a quick option to cancel/decline meetings that will happen while you’re away.
- Improved search: The completely rebuilt search infrastructure for cloud scale and reliability in Exchange Online is now available in Exchange 2019. This new search infrastructure allows for indexing of bigger files, simpler management, and better search performance.
BCIT IT Services