Medical Insurance for International Students
Basic medical insurance coverage is mandatory for all international students throughout the duration of their studies at BCIT.
Most international students will need to apply for British Columbia’s Medical Services Plan (BC MSP) once they arrive in BC, but will also need to have temporary basic private medical coverage during their MSP coverage waiting period. Depending on your type of program, you may be automatically charged for temporary private medical insurance with Guard.me.
It is very important that international students understand:
- That BC MSP coverage is required by law for residents of BC who stay for over six months, including international students
- That new arrivals to BC must apply for BC MSP as soon as they arrive in BC with a resident status
- When private basic medical insurance coverage would be necessary, such as during you MSP waiting period
- If you will be automatically enrolled in Guard.me or not (depending on the program type)
- What the difference is between basic and extended medical insurance coverage
Please follow the links below for more information:
Get a general understanding of how medical insurance works in Canada and what types of coverage are available
British Columbia’s Medical Services Plan (MSP)
Learn more about BC’s provincial health care system including how the coverage waiting period works and how to apply online
Private Medical Insurance (Guard.me)
Find out more about BCIT’s preferred provider Guard.me International Insurance, why private medical insurance may be necessary for you, if you will be automatically enrolled or not, and how to opt out of automatic enrollment