Updated January 31, 2024
Guard.me temporary medical insurance for Flexible Learning students
On this page:
Students included in BCIT’s Guard.me insurance enrolment process:
International Flexible Learning students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for Guard.me medical insurance enrolment through BCIT:
- submit an International Flexible Learning program application and program declaration by the applicable medical enrolment deadline (See chart below for coverage and deadline dates).
- do not provide proof of having your own medical insurance to cover you in Canada, and
- complete tuition deposit payment or course registration payment for your upcoming intake (tuition deposit or course fees directly).
Students who meet these requirements will have a one-time $180 fee (non-refundable) charged to their student account balance. The Guard.me temporary insurance policy and card will be emailed to a student’s @my.bcit.ca student email address prior to the coverage start date.
Guard.me insurance is intended only to cover your wait period for BC Medical Services Plan. This is generally your first 3 calendar months as a resident of BC (i.e. study permit holder). Note that time spent in BC as a visitor does not count towards towards your MSP coverage wait period.
The default Guard.me coverage period depends on which term you plan to begin your Flexible Learning program. Note that coverage is always done as 3 calendar months. The charge is non-refundable unless students can provide proof of study permit refusal.
|Planned starting term
|Months of Guard.me coverage
|Medical enrolment deadline
|March, April & May
|February 14, 2024
|February 28, 2024
|August, September & October
|July 19, 2024
|July 27, 2024
|December, January & February
|November 15, 2023
|November 27, 2024
If you already have medical insurance
If you are already enrolled in BC Medical Services Plan (MSP), you may submit your proof of MSP enrolment by the opt-out deadline.
If you have another kind of basic medical insurance to cover your first months in Canada, you may submit a copy by email to email@example.com for approval by the opt-out deadline. Note that even if you have your own private medical insurance, you will still need to apply for MSP once you arrive in BC and submit proof of MSP enrolment to BCIT.
Request to change coverage months
If you plan to arrive in BC during a different month than when your Guard.me coverage would normally begin (see table above), you should request to change your months of Guard.me coverage by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the opt-out deadline with your:
- BCIT student number, and
- your planned date of arrival in BC.
Students not included in BCIT’s Guard.me insurance enrolment process:
Students in the following scenarios will have to obtain their own temporary medical insurance through the Guard.me portal and submit proof of coverage to email@example.com before the intake start date:
- International students who submit their Flexible Learning program Application/Declaration, and pay their first term course tuition or deposit after the medical enrolment deadline for a specific term
- Students who enrol in general studies
If you will be traveling with dependents such as your spouse or children it is possible to add them to your Guard.me private medical insurance policy. Dependents of current BCIT students are eligible for the discounted rate of $2 per day.
Do-it-yourself on Guard.me’s website:
This option allows you to quickly add your dependents online 24/7 for your convenience, and to choose exact dates of coverage within your own coverage period. Note that you can only add dependents via this option AFTER your Guard.me medical insurance has been activated and and you have received your Policy #, which would typically happen at least one week before your planned arrival in Canada.
Follow the steps below:
- Check your myBCIT email inbox for your confirmation email from Guard.me, and make note of your Policy #.
- Visit the Guard.me portal for BCIT students and click the Dependents button, then enter your Policy # and date of birth.
- Enter the information required for each of your dependents and pay the fee online (by credit card) directly to Guard.me.