VCC Provincial Instructor Diploma Program (PIDP)
The Provincial Instructor Diploma provides the instructional skills to teach adults in private and public post-secondary institutions in BC. PIDP credits are transferable to many universities. The program consists of seven courses and a final practicum. Vancouver Community College offers courses all over the province including several on BCIT's Burnaby campus.
For information or registration, call Vancouver Community College at 604-871-7000 ext. 7488 or 7499.
Who is eligible for funding?
This financial support is available to any FSA member, full-time or part-time who is currently teaching at BCIT and has completed the Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW) or the equivalent Provincial Instructor Diploma Program's course PIDP 3220. (The ISW is offered at no cost year-round at BCIT in a variety of formats.) Financial support is also available for BCGEU part-time instructors.
If you are a full-time BCGEU Vocational Instructor, please visit the PD/CSD (Professional Development/Career and Skills Development) ShareSpace site for information about funding.
How does it work?
- VCC has scheduled one offering of all the courses in this school year on BCIT's Burnaby campus. The committee prefers that you take the courses that are offered on the BCIT campus, with the following exceptions (which must be approved in advance):
- If the course offered on campus is full, you can take it at another location and be reimbursed.
- If you are a part-time instructor who regularly teaches on Saturday or Sunday (the days the ID program is offered on the Burnaby Campus), you may take it at another location and be reimbursed.
- People who have varying schedules and are not able to attend the regularly scheduled courses, may take the courses VCC offers online and be reimbursed.
- You must register in the program directly through VCC and pay for the courses yourself in advance.
- Upon successful completion of each course, submit the receipt and supporting documentation of completion from VCC and you will be reimbursed. For the reimbursement, submit the original receipt from VCC and a clear indication of how it was paid (copy of cheque, Visa statement, etc.), some indication from VCC that you passed the course, and a signed BCIT Travel/Professional Development Expense Claim form. See BCIT Travel Policy [PDF] for any questions.
- You can be reimbursed for tuition, registration fee, transfer credit fee and textbooks, but not for travel or parking.
How do I apply?
- Email email@example.com or phone 604-456-1221
- Acceptance is on a first-come first-served basis as long as there are still funds available.
How do I get reimbursed?
- Download the BCIT Travel/Professional Development Expense Claim form (FIN-21) from The Loop or through the Instructional Development Committee website and save to your desktop.
- Complete the FIN-21 pdf form on-line. Do not fill out the form in handwriting, except for signature/date of yourself or the authorized signer in the LTC.
- Save a copy of the FIN-21 for your files.
- Print the FIN-21 and sign and collect all the supporting documents of your claim such as below:
- original detailed receipts for the VCC course and original textbook receipts. Original receipts must show your name, course description, amount and method of payment OR have the method of payment attached (credit card, point of sale receipt, or copy of credit card statement showing this transaction only).
- If no method of payment is detailed on the original receipt (i.e. tape receipt produced by POS machine) please provide a copy of your credit card statement showing payment to VCC.
- Documentation indicating successful completion of the course.
- Send everything to the Learning & Teaching Centre, Attention: Faculty Development Co-ordinator.
- The LTC will add the Org code and have it signed and forward to Finance for payment.
- Please allow 3 to 4 weeks for processing and payment. Finance is very efficient when they have all the documents.
Transferring your ISW credits to the PIDP at VCC
If you have taken the PIDP 3220 (also called the Instructional Skills Workshop at BCIT) and you wish to continue on with the PIDP, follow these steps when applying for an exemption of credits:
- Download and complete the Application for Exemption Form
- Attach your ISW certificate
- Scan and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Keep a copy for your own records
- Download and compete the Application for Exemption Form, then
- Email: email@example.com and in the subject line indicate you are requesting a letter from the LTC confirming your successful completion in an ISW
- Attach this letter to your Application for Exemption Form and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org